Pop up rigs....setup

craynerd

Hi guys, if you were to fish a pop up, what depth would u use (or should i say how much line should u allow to pop up?) and what rig, D rig or standard rig ?

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

How much line on a popup - depends quite a lot on why you are popping it up.

- firm bottom and a couple inches of debris you are trying to get clear of and .. well, probably 3 inches would do it.

- soft mud of 8 inches depth and a 3 inch popup wouldn't help much.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hello matey, did you get my email?

I use pop-ups most of the time, as the bottom of my lake is very silty, so i like my bait to sit proud of the bottom, on average i have my bait pop-up about an inch or so, that makes me feel more confident that my bait isnt sitting in the silt.

I use a stiff rig, and have the bait as close as poss to the bend of the hook, normaly with a stiff hair so it is harder to eject the hook, then an inch or so of stiff material then attach my braid or more flexable mono, to my swivel,

Nice and easy, and seams to catch the fish dead in the middle of the bottom lip every time, so i am confident with it. :)

yea ok, well i`m fishing a lodge with heavy bottom weed, and i just feel my bottom bait is getting caught and hidden in the weed.

My plan was to use a 15mm pop-up with a size 8 hook and then i didnt know weather to use a D rig with a lassod popup bait and shot to allow about 3-4inch rise or the normal standard hair rig with popup and shot to allow about 3-4 inch rise. Was gonna add source to my popup and use a stringer of about 5-6 ground bait freebe boilies

I have no idea of the deapth of weed but gaugeing from what i can see in the margins it looks about 2 inch deep, BUT could be thicker in the deeper water!

I have had about 18 hours bank time on this lodge (which is Carcus in totty for those who are from Bury area) and not had a single bite using my bottom bate....so i was talking to a carper a few days back and he mentioned popups!

Gonna go back for my first 24hour sesh. tomorrow, so should have plenty of time to try out methods and catch!

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

i wouldnt worry about the hookbait being in the weed/silt, after all, thats where all the freebies/naturals are..... so long as you can make sure the hooks clear of weed. pva bags/method are great for fishing in weed.

3" pop-ups in 8" of silt? just use a longer hooklength...