"Crabs Feel Pain"

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The experiment doesn't prove anything of the sort! It proves that hermit crabs will move out of shells that zap them with electricity, and that they learn to discard a shell which has been repeatedly zapping them. Not really surprising for an animal evolved to find and exploit suitable empty shells (and more to the point, to reject unsuitable ones).

All living creatures feel pain.. The perception of pain and the response to this stimulus is a basic necessity to survival and evolution of all things.

Do 'scientists' not have better things to do these days, than construct weak indicators that what is obviously evident could be marginally plausible? What a waste of time and energy. The world has gone mad.

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

:):), OK Elton...you win, THIS time.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/TheUniversity/Ge...,141245,en.html

It seems "they" are going to look at the way the crustaeceans are handled in the food industry...an RSPCC perhaps... :D :D

TBH, its about time they undertook some serious research..they must have been bored, not having a meeting in some far off sunny country to attend....ALL IMHO of course..:)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

All living creatures feel pain.. The perception of pain and the response to this stimulus is a basic necessity to survival and evolution of all things.

It comes down to an argument of semantics over what "pain" is - which matters when it comes down to what you are going to do with the information. I would distance "pain" from simple stimulus/response. I don't believe that a coral polyp "feels pain" in the same way that a dog or a human does, but it will retreat if a tentacle is nipped. I don't think that a definition of pain which can't differentiate between the sentient and insentient animals is useful, because it leads to the conclusion that putting a worm on a hook is equivalent to impaling a dog.

I should imagine that every live bait we use feels 'pain', but we choose to ignore it. Who'd be a ragworm eh!

Anyway, I doubt that crabs feel anywhere near the amount of pain the Murph is gonna feel tonight! Apparently he's thinking of fishing The Wall in a Force 6 and torrential rain! :lol:

There's at least two others joining me later, Dave. One of them is a contributor to your magazine - I promise to look after him :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

In the mammalian cortex is an area which when not developed or damaged renders a human incapable of feeling pain, often with unwlcome consequences (children who chew off their own fingers, patients who burn through their skin from a radiator).

That part of the brain is absent earlier than the reptilian brain.

Lobotomised patients report that they can feel pain, but have no emotional response. ie they feel it, but simply don't care about it!

Again pre-reptilians, if they did have some capacity to feel 'pain' wouldn't have the capacity to care.

Pain is useful to land dwelling creatures which encounter sharpness, can fall and trip etc.

Undersea creatures rarely experience circumstances where pain would provide useful warning (they don't trip over, sit on sharp objects, fall from height, encounter splitered wood etc), so probably had no need to evolve an ability to feel anything remotely like the pain that is familiar to us, in many different forms.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust