Hook Size ?

Mald

I've been chasing some pretty spooky carp and tried to scale everything down to keep it subtle and after 3 weeks of chasing I finally hooked one last night just to see the hook pull about 15 seconds into the fight :(

As you can imagine I'm gutted and looking to not repeat this failure.. a real head in hands for 5 minutes moment.

I know the fish will take large baits and I'm also trying to avoid the smaller fish in the lake but I think I got the match up wrong with a size 8 hook to a 20mm boilie.

What do you guys think - just unlucky or under sized hook ? :confused: ?

why not scale down ur boilie size, use around a 15mm boilie and stick to your size 8 hook.

Although if you read any of my earlier posts (infact there is a thread about hook size by myself omewhere) i had a lot of trouble losing fish on size 10 hooks. I know use size 8 and still lost a fish yesterday, BUT i did pull my personal best in with one as well so...

Try a size 8 long shank with a line aligner , haired to a 15mm boilie...

Not been fishing long, i might be talking crap!

Good luck, keep us informed!

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

I think I will up the hook size and stay with the large boilie.

I'm really intent on getting one of the bigger fish out without being plagued by the small stuff and the dreaded bream.

With most fishing the hook size is determined by the bait size.The hair rig does give you a bit of a wider choice though.Quite large baits can be used with small hooks without any problem.Simply lengthening the hair helps.

Once small hooks are in they give you a perfectly good hook hold.The cause of most hook pulls is simply applying to much pressure to the hook hold.This normally comes through using heavy test curve rods.What TC/action are you using bet theres a good chance they are 2 1/2lb plus?

Using small hooks can help a lot with pressured fish so persevere with them and use some lighter/softer rods.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If I lost any fish I wouldnt be happy! Last time I had a hook pull was in 1989 whilst fishing "hit and hold" style in some reeds.

Not a reflection on my angling skills but simpley correct use and selection of tackle.

As regards to this the test curve/action of a rod is dictated by several factors that must be considered.In its simplist form the distance required/size of lead is the main consideration but with the modern trend for PVA bags/bait sticks/method feeders this to has to be taken into acount.Also wether a water is weedy or not will influence choice of TC.

Very common trend these days for people to go way OTT on their rods.I see many 3lb long range rods used on small waters/cannals/or just at close range which result in hook pulls.If you are using high TC rods then just bear this in mind and allow for it.

For what its worth I use 1 3/4 lb for most sub 100m work on clear waters and 2lb on weedy ones.For snag fishing where I plan to hit and hold I use a very soft through action 1 1/2 lb rod and for distances over 100m I swap to fast taper rods of 2 1/4 up to 3lb depending on range.I dont use bags much but when I do I find that the size of bag/range dictates rod.2 1/2lb seems to work for me well at around 75m I just take it easy when playing the fish.Others with more experience of bags will be better placed to comment though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!