Are maggots full of germs?

The Flying Tench

Chesh:

arent Maggots used in some countries to clean up infected wounds?? cant be that dirty can they !

The maggots used for wound cleaning are specialy bred under the utmost sterile conditions.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If maggots carry germs why are there not dead birds scattered around fishing venues in the winter?

I must of been the saviour to hundreds of birds, in particular Robins, Wrens and Warblers over the years as I tend to feed more maggots etc to then than to the fish!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

froze my maggots friday to put them to sleep ,fished sat and sun with dead maggot caught more than usual especially decent roach .PS wife doesnt mind maggots in freezer /fridge as long as theyre sealed in poly bag . :cool:

[ 30. March 2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: rob.i ]

when you think you know everything think again....

A few years back (in a not so glorious past) I entered an 'Endurance' style competition and one of the challenges was eating maggots. I should point out that extreme amounts of alcohol had been consumed and I eventually chomped my way through over half a pint. Made sure I had crunched them all as I didn't fancy the thought of them wriggling around in my stomach. Didn't get ill though. Well I did, but I couldn't tell you if it was the maggots or the booze. I think it might have been the booze.

i pour boiling water over them ..kills them instantly, seems to make them bigger as well...

plus they dont explode like they do in the microwave

[ 30. March 2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: deanbmw ]

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Freezing them can take up to 48 hours for them to die, boiling is a little quicker but messy, anyway you need to store them once dead and one plastic bag is not usually sufficient to keep lady wife happy.

I now have a bait fridge / freezer so no hassle.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

"If maggots carry germs why are there not dead birds scattered around fishing venues in the winter?"

There most certainly are dead birds scattered around fishing venues every winter; hundreds of thousands probably. You just don't get to see many of them because they are killed and/or scavenged. I do worry about feeding maggots to birds, and would never give them ones that have been dyed. Safe dyes are supposed to be used these days but I wouldn't bet on it.

Maggots sold as bait must carry enormous loads of salmonella, because the battery farm corpses they are fed with are riddled with it. They would have to be marked as unfit for human consumption if there was a suspicion that there were people weird enough to buy them for food. I would think cold blooded creatures are almost certainly immune to salmonella, along with most flesh and insect eating animals to some extent.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.