Are maggots full of germs?

The Flying Tench

Thanks for so much info so quickly - at least, so many replies! Beebs, I'm glad you didn't get Salmonella! I think Snotty's right that my wife wouldn't even accept a sealed bag, but at least the boiling water approach is a way I can experiment with deads.

john clarke

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RUDD:

If maggots carry germs why are there not dead birds scattered around fishing venues in the winter?

Birds are opportunist feeders and as such they have developed an extremely acidic gut to cope with everything but the nastiest of parasites (have you seen what bird s**t does to car paintwork). They eat carrion, raw bugs, rotten grain, old mouldy bread, bits of McDonalds burger etc. and they love it. They also digest food extremely quickly. Bacteria simply don't have the time or the environment to multiply and cause illness. It's not the Bacteria that causes illness as such, it's the toxins that bacteria produce, in the form of waste that cause illness in people. The longer bacteria spends in the gut, the greater the amount of toxins produced. That's what vomiting and diahorrea is for. The body tries to minimise the amount of waste the bacteria produce by evacuating the little blighters. Birds also carry a lot of the dangerous bacteria, responible for food poisoning in humans. What we regard as dodgy, birds regard as Cordon Bleu. Yum Yum.

[ 31. March 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Andy Macfarlane ]

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Dear Maggoteers,

My wife doesn't mind at all when I freeze maggots as I've got my very own chest freezer in the garage.

She does moan a tad though when I try to revive a few gallons on the electric blanket in our bed.

Game anglers! Who'd marry one eh?

Regards,

Lee.

quote:

Originally posted by Andy Macfarlane:

[/qb]

Birds are opportunist feeders and as such they have developed an extremely acidic gut to cope with everything but the nastiest of parasites (have you seen what bird s**t does to car paintwork). They eat carrion, raw bugs, rotten grain, old mouldy bread, bits of McDonalds burger etc. and they love it. They also digest food extremely quickly. Bacteria simply don't have the time or the environment to multiply and cause illness. It's not the Bacteria that causes illness as such, it's the toxins that bacteria produce, in the form of waste that cause illness in people. The longer bacteria spends in the gut, the greater the amount of toxins produced. That's what vomiting and diahorrea is for. The body tries to minimise the amount of waste the bacteria produce by evacuating the little blighters. Birds also carry a lot of the dangerous bacteria, responible for food poisoning in humans. What we regard as dodgy, birds regard as Cordon Bleu. Yum Yum. [/QB]

And probably the reason you never see a solid poo on your car. :D So why don't they eat the bread I throw out then?

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

The bread you throw out isn't good enough Jeff. Your neighbours must be feeding the birdies with Kingsmill....lol :P

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Guest sslatter
deanbmw:

..plus they dont explode like they do in the microwave

:D:D:D

quote:
Are maggots full of germs?
Yes. Pretty well everything is. We're all covered in 'em right now. Then there's the bedclothes, the carpet, the wall, the fridge..

[ 01. April 2004, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Certainly used the boiling water method, but beware if dyed ones are used because could not get the bronze colour out the sink for ages.

In the past I have always kept my bait box in the main fridge....doesn't everyone

Now a days on only kill a few each year....I impale them on a sharp hook and drown em.

If maggots were so germ ridden we'd all be very i'll by now i'm sure.

Come on.. how many of you have handled maggots all day, only then to took into your sandwiches doing no more than wiping your hands on your trousers? . just hope that chicken in your sandwich was cooked properly :rolleyes:

[ 02. April 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: frodo_uk ]

fat, stupid hobbit.

But what if you bought a chicken sandwich that had maggots in it? Wouldn't you complain?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.