Big fish off the top.

Sheepy

Gaffer's spot on with his post - cork balls, leave them in a flavour for a couple of months helps too...only had them to 14lb off the top myself, but I am hell bent on improving that this season...

If the missus lets me off the the decorating for a day that is :(

Andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fishing in a carp-only pond/small lake yesterday that is teaming with carp around the 2/3lb mark, but has fish to 24lb.

They were consistently feeding from the top throughout the day.

As the only floating bait I had with me was bread, I broke up a loaf into small 1 inch pieces and began to scatter a few bits here and there.

To cut a long story short, I found that the bigger carp were either directly below the large showls of smaller carp, or were adjacent to them in pairs or solo.

It took about 3 hours to finally seperate the larger carp from the now huge single showl of smaller carp, and by strategically dropping a 3 inch pinched piece of bread on a size 8, I landed a 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 within 30 minutes of each other.

OK, not the largest carp I've caught, and certainly not the largest I had seen surfacing that day, but it was an experience I'll never forget.

(that was my first ever session at floating baits, and I'll be sure to try it again).