Improve your coarse fishing

mjbarnes12

I do not think this magazine does what it states I have been a subscriber for 5 years and I am now really fed up thay it does not improve my fishing as it states..........................................................................

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think this magazine does what it states I have been a subscriber for 5 years and I am now really fed up thay it does not improve my fishing as it states..........................................................................

I agree.

When I started fishing, and before the current editor dumbed it down so that it's now little more than a monthly verion of The Sun with fish,

it was helpful.

It would appear from the back of the mag that you only need to know how to tie 3 knots...those same 3 that they have been showing every issue for the past few years.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Although the last couple of "New Look" magazines have been alright, it's definitely aimed at the commercial carper. Disappointing since Kev Green is the editor. I prefer "Coarse Fisherman", to which I subscribe, although I am seriously considering ditching it in favour of "Total Coarse Fishing", if anyone has any thoughts on that title?........................

Although the last couple of "New Look" magazines have been alright, it's definitely aimed at the commercial carper. Disappointing since Kev Green is the editor. I prefer "Coarse Fisherman", to which I subscribe, although I am seriously considering ditching it in favour of "Total Coarse Fishing", if anyone has any thoughts on that title?........................

Kev Green's editorship was, for me, the start of the decline of IYCF. I disliked his first issue in charge and felt that was the best of them prior to my giving it the elbow.

Gareth Purnell's Total Coarse Fishing knocks IYCF into a cocked hat, IMO. It isn't carp dominated and the articles are more article and less sponsor plug than just about any angling mag.

If you must go down the carp fishing route, there are two I have enjoyed Total Carp and Carp Addict (although I must say that I'd read anything if I knew our very own Wordbender had a hand in it!) I dislike Carpworld because it takes itself sooooooo seriously. (I laughed when I read the title of a Tim Paisley book 'Memories of Carp' -a ) it sounded pretentious and -b ) If we believe everything we're told about fish, it is going to be a short read!

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Total Coarse Fishing ,is a good mix of angling methods ,not so dumbeddown has in depth pictorial guides (sometimes a picture really is a thousend words) ,i've stuck with it since first issue (plus tesco's stock it) as its ready available unlike corse fishermen or CAT which are a bit patchy around here with only the one stockist with only a few copys each month .i don't subscribe too any mags ,prefering the freedom to buy in as i wish or just read instore

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I've also noticed that there isn't a lot of advertisements in TCF either, something that most definitely cannot be said for IYCF. Coarse fishing is not carp fishing therefore I do not want a magazine dominated by them, nor the methods for which to fish for them. TCF seems to me to have the best mix.

Coarse Angling Today is complete rubbish in my opinion, as is its sister publication, Pike & Predators. Their forum really says it all!! I do not like the way the articles (for the most part) are written, and they both have a very amateurish feel to them. It is a shame about P&P as I pike fish a lot, and there just doesn't seem to be a good magazine catering for predator fishing. CAT and P&P would be much better as one title in my opinion.

I don't have any alliegence to any particular magazines, I buy them on the strength of the articles that month. The one thing that will almost certainly make me buy one is an article by Tony Miles - so, usually CAT and CF. Those two are usually good anyway, with good seasonal focus which suits my fishing. Tench and bream in spring, whatever you like in summer, then perch and chub (and pike) in autumn/winter.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music