Improve your coarse fishing

mjbarnes12

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a lot of mags its the actual editor that shapes them.I personally dont like anything that James Holgate writes so very soon became dissalusioned with P&P.I started subscribing to it when it first came out but with a different title( Jeeze that sounds double dutch!) Pike something or other! Stopped about a year after it changed titles.

Im kind of with Anderoo now and tend to buy whatever mag anglers I rate/find interesting have something in.

That said I reckon some of the stuff on both here and FishingMagic rates higher.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I can't see why anyone bothers with these magazines anymore. There is so much more useful and entertaining information on the internet, and you choose what to read rather than having (mostly irrelevant) articles shoved at you monthly (or whatever). If you are a pike fisherman you could do worse than start with Leon Roskilly's articles on this site. Tne only problem I find is that I'm not too comfortable having my laptop with me in the bath.

MC

I can see exactly why people buy them.

in my opinion they are very good reads on the whole, and personally i would far rather read a magazine or book than read off a computer screen, its just not the same. likewise if you write for a maazine you will have to supply a number of photos to illustrate the piece along with backing up that what you are writing about is actually successful. I have seen far too many internet instant experts or loonies to take too much of it very seriously.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

I only buy a magazine if it has stuff that I am intertested in. If it has an article about so-called modern Carp angling then I put it straight back on the shelf as I find it boring the same goes for fishing on commercial waters. Bu if it looks like it has a good selection of interesting articles then I will buy it.

I never even look at IYCF , The wife used to buy it every month for years and there was never anything new or interesting in it. only regurgitated stuff.

I have just realised that maggie last logged on to this machine so I used her loggin above.

At least she wont have to wait as long before she sees what she's posted

BB

:D

I can see exactly why people buy them.

likewise if you write for a maazine you will have to supply a number of photos to illustrate the piece along with backing up that what you are writing about is actually successful. I have seen far too many internet instant experts or loonies to take too much of it very seriously.

Mark I was about to say that you can soon suss out who is worth listening to and whose not on the internet as you are quite right in what you say.

I then realised that it might be easy for an experienced person to do so but of course the new commer (who is most likely the one looking for advice!) cant!!

I suppose anglers of different levels of experience will find different mediums better.

I could go on to argue that many of todays writers arent that experienced anglers or indeed havnt caught that much! Captures arnt the be all and end all as each captures circumstances are more relevant.I know some very poor and inexperienced anglers who have either caught one off biggies (and made a media career out of it!) or have lots of pictures of pretty average captures from very easy waters! Get what I mean? but I will concede that in general you are right.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'm sure that most of the print-based angling writers see the web as a threat, which is fair enough. (I see a similar thing day in and day out in my job. They're right, it is a threat!) Obviously, just because something is on the internet doesn't make it rubbish, same as just because something is in print doesn't make it true.

I have noticed that many angling writers, when they do write anything on a forum, have appalling English. I do wonder how much editing is needed to make their articles readable? But, that's what editors are for, so that's fair enough.

I enjoy reading articles that tell a story and explain how and why they did what they did. What I don't like is half-baked conclusions based on dubious evidence. Unfortunately there's a lot of that about.

I could write an article about how using a float-legered slug section with homemade slug dip and groundbait is THE killer method for carp this year (and picks out the commons from the mirrors), and I could go out and catch some fish on it from an easy water and get some photos. That doesn't mean it's any good to anyone!

I'm sure we all know people who are in all likelihood are better anglers than many of the regular magazine writers. I think the writers are a pretty self-selecting group for various reasons.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm sure we all know people who are in all likelihood are better anglers than many of the regular magazine writers. I think the writers are a pretty self-selecting group for various reasons.

Your right. It's usually because they can provide regular copy, well written and with decent photos.

To assume that angling writers are the best anglers would be incorrect. But likewise they do have to be of a decent standard to be regular contributors.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk