Improve your coarse fishing

mjbarnes12

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right. It's usually because they can provide regular copy, well written and with decent photos.

To assume that angling writers are the best anglers would be incorrect. But likewise they do have to be of a decent standard to be regular contributors.

I reckon that the problem, most people have about 2/3 decent articles in them a year (some more). The ability to provide regular copy is no reflection on the quality of it, ditto the provision of photos.

With the web, yes you get an awful lot of rubbish, but if you're prepared to ignore it, it offers more than the mags can. People offer opinions, thoughts and advice when they have it to offer, not because they have to have something handed in by a certain deadline.

I also think the mags can lend legitimacy to rather poor thinking and advice. It's easy to see something rubbish on the web, more difficult when it's been through the whole print publishing process.

Just my thoughts, and I'm not having a go at you Mark.

Oh, and sponsered anglers, don't get me started! At least the web is impartial.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

As someone new to fishing I tend to buy both tcf and IYCF if I see them in the supermarket but read them for entertainment rather than education, very few of the articles would apply to the sort of waters I have access to but I am thinking of subscribing to one other when the "free gift " is something I feel would be useful to me

For answers to specific questions I have found this site very useful but I read most topics for entertainment and also education but with so many contributors all having opinions it shows that with angling there is no "Right way" if you are catching with method and are confident about that method carry on using it another method might catch more/bigger but if you blank a couple of times when first you use it you lose confidence in it and return to your original method

Dave

I have brought a few copies of IYCF but it seemed like a mag for complete noddies (same articles about tying hair rigs every month, surely you would have got it after the first one!)

I usually buy a copy of CAT but only after I've had a sift through it to see if there are any decent articles. Sometimes has some good barbel stuff in it along with some interesting bits from Bob Church & Mike Green

Edited by Neil G

I don't buy any regularly now, but if I see 'The Angling Star', I do tend to pick it up.

It mainly cover the North and N Midlands, so it's more relevant to my area. It has a good mixture of all types of fishing, not all carp related.

In fact if I'm going to buy a mag', I just look at the front cover. If I see a photo of a carp, or mention of carp related articles inside, I put the thing down without looking any further.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Your right. It's usually because they can provide regular copy, well written and with decent photos.

To assume that angling writers are the best anglers would be incorrect. But likewise they do have to be of a decent standard to be regular contributors.

Too right Mark! its like they say-"Some are writers who go fishing and others are fishermen who write"

Though in my humble opinion some are neither! .CErtainly not reffering to you though Mark! (thought I best put that in as you seem to be very touchy about such matters these days!)

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I reckon that the problem, most people have about 2/3 decent articles in them a year (some more). The ability to provide regular copy is no reflection on the quality of it, ditto the provision of photos.

With the web, yes you get an awful lot of rubbish, but if you're prepared to ignore it, it offers more than the mags can. People offer opinions, thoughts and advice when they have it to offer, not because they have to have something handed in by a certain deadline.

I also think the mags can lend legitimacy to rather poor thinking and advice. It's easy to see something rubbish on the web, more difficult when it's been through the whole print publishing process.

Just my thoughts, and I'm not having a go at you Mark.

Oh, and sponsered anglers, don't get me started! At least the web is impartial.

Totally true Anderoo. The comitment of a weekly/monthy piece must be hard.The sign of a truly great angling writer though (IMO) is one that does recognise he has nothing "new" to say for that months article! Instead of rehashing an old one or making up some "new theory" he will instead just submit an entertaining,anecdotal piece. My sadly departed mate Vic Gillings fell into this catagory.

Off course I often wonder how much (if at all of course) a lot of semi proffesional writers who have a regular feature in monthlies are under pressure to do any product placement for the magazines major advertisers? "sponsered proffesional anglers are obviously obliged to plug their sposers gear at every oportunity!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!