Improve your coarse fishing

mjbarnes12

The two anglers/writers who have had the biggest and most positive impression on me are John Wilson and (especially) Tony Miles. Every time I read something of his I want to send him a pint in the post :D The man is a fish catching machine, a thoughtful and reflective soul, a pioneer, a proper all-rounder, isn't self-congratulatory or a media tart, and a really excellent writer. His articles are often a mix of new ideas, old stories, reflection, sensible conclusions and instruction - perfect. And very, very little (if any) plugging or product placement. He did mention his winter suit in one of his recent winter chubbing articles, but it was very much the exception to the rule, and he had the good grace to apologise beforehand!

I remain convinced that the single-species (notably carp) route we're heading down is driven by the media. I don't believe for a second that the press simply reflect what people want - take a look at any fishing website and it's clearly not true. I bet anyone here any amount of money you like that I or anyone else could take out a kid who's been brought up on easy commercials and carp, and who's never given any other species or style a second thought, and give them one of the best days' fishing they've ever had trotting a small stream, float fishing for small tench, or quivertipping for chub. I really do believe that they genuinely don't know what they're missing - because the mags they read never tell them.

Perhaps, as Mark says, I do notice the plugging and product placement more than others - if that's the case, the readers need a kick up the bum as welll :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, as Mark says, I do notice the plugging and product placement more than others - if that's the case, the readers need a kick up the bum as welll :rolleyes:

I don't see how anyone can fail to see the "plugs" in the mags and videos Andrew. Unless they have got so used the use of this method of advertising in films and TV in general, that it only registers on a subconscious level.

I sometimes find myself looking for the less blatant use of 'product placement' in mags and videos. It becomes a kind of game after a while, and is often more entertaining than the feature itself. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The two anglers/writers who have had the biggest and most positive impression on me are John Wilson and (especially) Tony Miles. Every time I read something of his I want to send him a pint in the post :D The man is a fish catching machine, a thoughtful and reflective soul, a pioneer, a proper all-rounder, isn't self-congratulatory or a media tart, and a really excellent writer. His articles are often a mix of new ideas, old stories, reflection, sensible conclusions and instruction - perfect. And very, very little (if any) plugging or product placement. He did mention his winter suit in one of his recent winter chubbing articles, but it was very much the exception to the rule, and he had the good grace to apologise beforehand!

I remain convinced that the single-species (notably carp) route we're heading down is driven by the media. I don't believe for a second that the press simply reflect what people want - take a look at any fishing website and it's clearly not true. I bet anyone here any amount of money you like that I or anyone else could take out a kid who's been brought up on easy commercials and carp, and who's never given any other species or style a second thought, and give them one of the best days' fishing they've ever had trotting a small stream, float fishing for small tench, or quivertipping for chub. I really do believe that they genuinely don't know what they're missing - because the mags they read never tell them.

If you dont think that Tony miles does product placement mate, then I have seriously over estimated just how picky you were about such occurrences :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

If you dont think that Tony miles does product placement mate, then I have seriously over estimated just how picky you were about such occurrences :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don't worry Mark, it happens :lol:

Well, what I said was 'And very, very little (if any) plugging or product placement'. I know he wears clothing with logos on but there's not much more than that. Besides which, what he writes has real substance and if there is any product placement it's incidental. What winds me up is if (1) the article is clearly an extended advert for one or more companies, whether the companies have put pressure on the writer or otherwise, or (2) the article is poor quality offering nothing of substance, in which case the plugs and/or placements stand out even more clearly.

Anyway, just my opinion!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think you also have to recognise that the product plugging is part of the culture - that you borrow authenticity from the "experts" by using the same brands as they do. Consider the bizarre phenomenon of sticking a shopping list of aftermarket component manufacturers on your car door - I think half the time, even when the car actually has the brands in the list, they are fitted because of the desire to list them on the door, and not vice-versa.

door-stickers.jpg

Designer label marketing driven nonsense, but I think the same game is being played. Just watch, you'll have lists of brands stuck to the back of people's bivvies :lol:

I read and have read scores and scores of angling books and countless magazines over the years. Writers like Peter Wheat, Clive Gammon, Martin Bowler, Richard Walker, Richard Barder, John Wilson and quite a few others all had, or have one thing in common, they didn't, or don't, give the impression of trying to tell us how good they are, or that they are so good because they use so and so tackle. For me a good writer doesn't take themselves too seriously, and many of today's crop do.

I understand why contributors here moan about product placement.

Nonetheless, perhaps the greatest fishing writer of all, certainly the greatest living one, isn’t immune to it himself.

Yup – that’s right – the wonderful Chris Yates.

No article is complete without a reference to Aerial Allcocks reels, Avocet barbel rods or an Avon Mk 1V carp rod.

Of course, this is all done to celebrate the traditional approach to angling rather than plug a contemporary product for financial gain. Very admirable.

But for those that can’t afford classic tackle and rods, (and I’d love to own a rod by the great Dick Walker) it's no bad thing to get an insight from the angling mags about the contemporary gear that works best in different situations.

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Improve Your 'Carp' Fishing is alright for a year and then it's just the same old yawn rehashed. It's great if you like Carp I suppose. Don't buy it though for any Pike or Perch titbits. It's full of Carp.

Did I mention Carp?

Cof! Cof!.....I knew I had written about it somewhere..... ;)

....Andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I don't buy any fishing magazines. mainly for the two commonly mentioned reasons in this thread: They don't cover my styles of fishing and I don't intend wasting my money on a magazine which is at least 50% advertising/product placement.

Commercial is as commercial does!

A shame really because I'm quite interested in trying a nice little stillwater for tench or rudd or crucians.

I must sew my nose back on B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Yes its strange that isnt it Mark and the bulk of book publishers I know want it the other way around!

I'm told that this is beginning to change as there have been relatively few technical books in the last few years. More are beginning to appear, which is just as well as the perch book I'm writing, whilst being a mixture of stories and instruction, leans more towards the latter. It's just as well as I've a lot less experience with stories and find them more difficult to write than technical pieces.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've bought a couple of Improve your coarse fishing magazines. They are ok but there are better mags out there. Plus I get sick of the sight of Matt Hayes smug toothy grin on every other mag, looking like the mitchelin man because he is wearing every layer of his TF gear range.