Shimano Stella 6000FT

hpint

I've been doing some research on good reels for popping for GT's from a boat. The recommended reels so far is the Shimano Stella and Daiwa Saltiga. Both reels are really expensive and in the £500/600 plus region. I'm more of a freshwater fisherman and won't be doing this sort of fishing often therefore a bit hessitant to splash out that amount of money for a reel.

Are there any other good value for money reels for this type of fishing or should I resort to beans on toast for this month and just buy one of these reels?

I've been doing some research on good reels for popping for GT's from a boat. The recommended reels so far is the Shimano Stella and Daiwa Saltiga. Both reels are really expensive and in the £500/600 plus region. I'm more of a freshwater fisherman and won't be doing this sort of fishing often therefore a bit hessitant to splash out that amount of money for a reel.

Are there any other good value for money reels for this type of fishing or should I resort to beans on toast for this month and just buy one of these reels?

:D Although they are the beesknees they are not really necessary, any reel with a smooth clutch, reasonable capacity spool and strong gears will do the job and for less money. There are many on here who will give you good advice, albeit with their own differing opinions, we never agree on anything. :lol:

:D Although they are the beesknees they are not really necessary, any reel with a smooth clutch, reasonable capacity spool and strong gears will do the job and for less money. There are many on here who will give you good advice, albeit with their own differing opinions, we never agree on anything. :lol:

I think the 6000 is a bit small for GT's, especially if you are looking for the bigger (>30kgs) fish. Rather look at a 10k. Another alternative is the Stradic 8k. Good reel and we use it alot for smaller tuna.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

You don't necessarily have to use spinning reels for this particular type of fishing, overheads will do the job just as well. Re spinning reels,I would recommend a good s/h Penn Spinfisher SS7500/ SS9500 (the made in USA models and not the Chinese ones) which are a proven workhorse for jigging and popping. Most spares are still available for these reels.

Safety habits last a lifetime.