Marmite

Vagabond

For countless years I have enjoyed Marmite on toast with my breakfast boiled egg.

I still do, although now I cut my own soldiers instead of having grandma do it for me :)

Over the last two years, I have noticed Marmite has become paler in colour. It used to be almost black - now it is dark brown.

It has also become "stickier" ie it used to have the texture of cold butter, but now it is the consistency of treacle, amd leaves a long messy "tail" between knife and jar.

I have also noticed it does not seem to taste as strong as in the past.

Before I write to Unilver, demanding an explanation, the firing of their Marmite formulation manager and the formal castration of their directors, I would like some other opininions from those who have enjoyed this product for many years. Is it my imagination, or is it less "strong" than in the past?

Marmite used to have a slogan "Too much spoils the flavour"

That has disappeared, possibly because some accountant feared it would reduce consumption, or maybe they are diluting the product so that you now have to use more (at the same price)

Gimme some ammunition please!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For countless years I have enjoyed Marmite on toast with my breakfast boiled egg.

I still do, although now I cut my own soldiers instead of having grandma do it for me :)

Over the last two years, I have noticed Marmite has become paler in colour. It used to be almost black - now it is dark brown.

It has also become "stickier" ie it used to have the texture of cold butter, but now it is the consistency of treacle, amd leaves a long messy "tail" between knife and jar.

I have also noticed it does not seem to taste as strong as in the past.

Before I write to Unilver, demanding an explanation, the firing of their Marmite formulation manager and the formal castration of their directors, I would like some other opininions from those who have enjoyed this product for many years. Is it my imagination, or is it less "strong" than in the past?

Marmite used to have a slogan "Too much spoils the flavour"

That has disappeared, possibly because some accountant feared it would reduce consumption, or maybe they are diluting the product so that you now have to use more (at the same price)

Gimme some ammunition please!

I can not say I have noticed, Its always been a bugger to spread, but on toast with proper butter its great!

Im going to have to check your findings and get back to you :)

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Liking Marmite is like doing a top button up on a shirt withouit wearing a tie, reading horoscopes, trainspotting, fervent religion, an interest in the healing power of crystals or an unhealthy love of Star Trek, Buffy or similar.

Not a certain indicator of incipient madness but definatly an indicator.

Ye gods guys, you'll be saying you like twiglets next.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

doing a top button up on a shirt withouit wearing a tie, reading horoscopes, trainspotting, fervent religion, an interest in the healing power of crystals or an unhealthy love of Star Trek, Buffy or similar.

It's true they are all pretty dodgy :rolleyes: , apart from the crystals, which work, and will so pizz you off, beacause they work whether you belive of not. Why do you accept the electronic gismos which rely upon crystals (or do you still get up to change channels on the TV), yet reject them in the raw form?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

It's true they are all pretty dodgy :rolleyes: , apart from the crystals, which work, and will so pizz you off, beacause they work whether you belive of not. Why do you accept the electronic gismos which rely upon crystals (or do you still get up to change channels on the TV), yet reject them in the raw form?

PS, i don't like marmite. ;)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Never seen any empirical data to support the healing power of crystals. The 'crystals' in your LCD displays are 'liquid crystals' and have nothing at all to do with mineral crystals.

If the 'work' as you say what is the mechanism involved?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Piezoelectric crystals and things like crystal oscillators that can be built with them are pretty well understood as are lasers that can be built from chunks of ruby and the like but to suggest that what amount to chunks of rock have magical powers in theur native state is plain silly.

As has already been sugested, what are the suposed effects ? how are they measured ? are they repeatable ? and assuming that an effect is present, is it a property of crystals in particular or will any lump of mineral do ?

I have to say that I'm very skeptical.

When in India, I got chatting to a guy who suplied most of the new age types in town with "crystals". I picked one up and pointed out that it was nothing more than a piece of machine cut mineral with a pointy end and his responce was "Yeh, I know, but I've had people come into the shop, go all funny and tell me that they can feel the "power" radiating from the crystals". He was a nice guy trying to make a living and we had a good laugh at the credulity of people trying to find themselves by leaving their critical faculties at the airport.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Piezoelectric crystals and things like crystal oscillators that can be built with them are pretty well understood as are lasers that can be built from chunks of ruby and the like but to suggest that what amount to chunks of rock have magical powers in theur native state is plain silly.

As has already been sugested, what are the suposed effects ? how are they measured ? are they repeatable ? and assuming that an effect is present, is it a property of crystals in particular or will any lump of mineral do ?

When in India, I got chatting to a guy who suplied most of the new age types in town with "crystals". I picked one up and pointed out that it was nothing more than a piece of machine cut mineral with a pointy end and his responce was "Yeh, I know, but I've had people come into the shop, go all funny and tell me that they can feel the "power" radiating from the crystals". He was a nice guy trying to make a living and we had a good laugh at the credulity of people trying to find themselves by leaving their critical faculties at the airport.

Since almost every single piece of igneous rock is comprised of little more than mineral crystals Aberdonians should never be sick since many of them live in building built from blocks of crystals. I used to collect crystals when I was a kid (nothing new age, I was mad on geology and palaeontology) and had a bedroom full of them. I seemed to catch all the same ailment as my peers despite sleeping in a bedroom that had hundreds of crystals in it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

That's all very interesting Ken, Emma and cory. But what about the Marmite?

I like it by the way, and it is a bit different from how it used to be.

But I think Wagon Wheels used to be bigger when I was a kid, so I might not be the best one to judge.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I too love marmite and in honour of son visiting bought some new marmite it was the stuff in the squeey container,quite runny,but I agree did not taste quite as strong as it used to! found this site for you..

Marmite Site Here

Edited by nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)