Thatcham Angling Association

Rusty

How much did it cost you to join? I went into Thatcham angling a few weeks ago and was told i would have to pay a late joining fee of £30 on top of the cost for a permit bringing it up to about £70 and then pay again on June 16th. Is this what you had to do?

No I didn't, I wouldn't have joined if it meant that I only got the last knockings of the 2007/08 year before being asked to pay again. It did cost me £70 but I was told by the proprietor of the tackle shop that my membership would last until 16th June 2009. If I get a renewal notice for the 2008/09 season I'll be very upset and will be engaging him in further discussion.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fished Jubilee a few times this time last year, usually with maggot and groundbait feeder. Most of the fish I got were carp up to about 10lbs, with a few tench and bream. Amazingly, with maggot hook bait, I got no roach. I used 6lb line. I got the impression Jubilee is no good for roach fishing.

TAA are trying to make Horderns into a decent silver fish water, but there are also a fair number of big carp and tench. I have heard of people getting nice roach to 1lb in Horderns, but the people I have seen float fishing with maggot have just got small stuff. No trouble with the carp, though!

Ditto.the few times i have fished jubilee the predominant species in my catches have been carp.I get the impression that the lakes description as a general mixed fishery is way off the mark.

Well I just had an hour or so spare this evening and decided to try Horderns. I had 6lb bottom and single sweetcorn on straight lead. I was really hoping for some roach, with also the possibility of tench or small carp.

Some young lads came along on their bikes and got into conversation. One of them casually mentioned that he had had 6 twenties (carp obviously) from there this season. Just in case I had any doubts he showed me a pic of his 26 on his mobile phone! As the conversation went on it became clear they were extremely good anglers.

As for me - one fish, a lovely 10.5lb leather carp. Some snags nearby, and a tight scrap getting it in, but I'm not complaining.

And I do think Horderns is a genuine mixed fishery - and the maggot anglers don't get any trouble with the carp.

john clarke

Ditto.the few times i have fished jubilee the predominant species in my catches have been carp.I get the impression that the lakes description as a general mixed fishery is way off the mark.

When I was a member 10 years ago for a year I had the impression it was more of a general fishery, but I think the carp have taken over a bit. But it's not only carp, and of course it depends a bit which swim you go for. One swim I had mainly tench, not specially big. When I fished maggot feeder under a bush it was mostly perch and a couple of carp. If you get into the bream I'm told they can be good, though it never really happened for me.

john clarke

I was told 3 or 4 years ago that Horderns held some BIG crucians. So I went armed accordingly on my first ever trip there - match rod, float fished bread flake pinched to a size 16 etc etc. 1st cast 13lb common - which as you can imagine took an age to land, quickly followed by another nearly as big. I went back targetting the (alledged) big tench and got equally carped out. Did manage a few tinca's that year from there nothing particularly big - but the carp were a menace! (Never saw any signs of crucians!)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

When I was a member 10 years ago for a year I had the impression it was more of a general fishery, but I think the carp have taken over a bit. But it's not only carp, and of course it depends a bit which swim you go for. One swim I had mainly tench, not specially big. When I fished maggot feeder under a bush it was mostly perch and a couple of carp. If you get into the bream I'm told they can be good, though it never really happened for me.

From memory i think i have fished at Jubilee three times.As i had been led to believe it was a mixed fishery i kicked off on an open ended feeder with caster/chopped worm and a minimal amount of crushed hemp grounbait to hold it in.On the hook was a worm/caster cocktail,the result was practically the same on the first two trips.A few bream and tench which what i was aiming for but then the carp moved in and pushed the other species out.

The third trip i went for the carp from the off,double rodding on buzzers with boilies on the hair with a PVA stringer of boilies attached each cast,ie bog standard carp tactics.This produced carp but not as many as the light feeder set up.

Fished a different swim each time,and on at least one trip lots of carp were visible on the surface.

Joined TAA today and had a look around the lakes, quite a few carp on the surface in horderns and also a small pike. Saw a fair few dead fish including a big perch, I quite fancy horderns as it looks a lot more suitable for float fishing. Im going there today so ill post here how i get on :)

Im a little confused over one of the rules, it looks to me as though i can fish with 2 rods on the normal permit I have but im not sure, anyone have any info on this?

Joined TAA today and had a look around the lakes, quite a few carp on the surface in horderns and also a small pike. Saw a fair few dead fish including a big perch, I quite fancy horderns as it looks a lot more suitable for float fishing. Im going there today so ill post here how i get on :)

How did it go? I've had a couple of trips back to Jubilee, once with carp gear and again with light gear. The first trip produced one Mirror of about 12 pounds caught on halibut pellets, probably what I was expecting.

The second trip I was careful to choose a swim with no obvious snags and just freelined a couple of bits of corn on a size 12 hook in the margins. It was a calm evening so I could watch the line, I find this almost as enjoyable as watching a float particularly when feeding bubbles appear around your bait. Two Carp of about 10 pounds and a lost Tench were the result, I got a look at the Tench before he gave me two fingers and it was around 3 pound ish.

So, I'm into the Tench and things are looking up for me at Jubilee. Next stop Long lake, same margin tactics but I'll giving the centrepin a go just to make sure it's still up for the 16th (not too far away now).

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

How did it go? I've had a couple of trips back to Jubilee, once with carp gear and again with light gear. The first trip produced one Mirror of about 12 pounds caught on halibut pellets, probably what I was expecting.

The second trip I was careful to choose a swim with no obvious snags and just freelined a couple of bits of corn on a size 12 hook in the margins. It was a calm evening so I could watch the line, I find this almost as enjoyable as watching a float particularly when feeding bubbles appear around your bait. Two Carp of about 10 pounds and a lost Tench were the result, I got a look at the Tench before he gave me two fingers and it was around 3 pound ish.

So, I'm into the Tench and things are looking up for me at Jubilee. Next stop Long lake, same margin tactics but I'll giving the centrepin a go just to make sure it's still up for the 16th (not too far away now).

It went really badly! I got there at about 2 in the afternoon on thursday, it was totally dead until about 6 and then i missed a few bites and lost a fish. Twice in a row ive blanked now <_< giving Jubilee a go tomorow. Long lake is supposedly the hardest but contains the best fish.

Im a little confused over one of the rules, it looks to me as though i can fish with 2 rods on the normal permit I have but im not sure, anyone have any info on this?

That's my understanding, though I agree the rules are unclear.

john clarke