Thatcham Angling Association

Rusty

I have had the same problems at a fishery called Morton Springs in Warwickshire.

It has some great Roach and really big perch, I have been targeting these with red worm over the last 2 weeks, I have had some good fish, but I was getting broken by carp each evening, I now fish with 5lb main line straight throw with a size 14 hook tied on the main line, I am fishing with a stick float and match rod.

This has not reduced the number of roach and perch I am catching and is also allowing me to catch the carp, here is one I caught last night.

I am not a carp fisherman, but I have to admit its one hell of a fight on light tackle and very enjoyable.

This fish is over 10lbs, I did not weigh it as I did not have my scales with me, and it was in fin perfect condition.

fco4g7.jpg

Edited by bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive now had carp, tench, rudd and perch all to good sizes from Jubilee.

Well done! And interesting, particularly about the rudd. Do you mind saying how big and if it was a one-off capture or whether you think rudd might be a species worth targeting there?

john clarke

I think it was probably a one off, it was about 9 - 10 ounces caught on maggots in the margins when targeting tench. Ive only fished there with maggots once though so who knows it could well be worth a try. One end of Horderns goes really thin (ive heard it refered to as 'the cave') and ive seen it swarming with roach, also its the only place ive seen people targeting anything other than carp (2 people pole fishing seemed to be catching). Ever tried Long Lake?

I think it was probably a one off, it was about 9 - 10 ounces caught on maggots in the margins when targeting tench. Ive only fished there with maggots once though so who knows it could well be worth a try. One end of Horderns goes really thin (ive heard it refered to as 'the cave') and ive seen it swarming with roach, also its the only place ive seen people targeting anything other than carp (2 people pole fishing seemed to be catching). Ever tried Long Lake?

That's interesting about the roach in Horderns - I guess you mean the far end?

I've only fished Long Lake a couple of times, trying for carp with bread and luncheon meat over micro pellets under bushes. Had one 15 lber and lost one about the same.

john clarke

That's interesting about the roach in Horderns - I guess you mean the far end?

I've only fished Long Lake a couple of times, trying for carp with bread and luncheon meat over micro pellets under bushes. Had one 15 lber and lost one about the same.

The rudd are worth targetting, i caught 5 1lb rudd yesterday along with 4 tench and loads of decent sized perch. Going to try long lake next.

The rudd are worth targetting, i caught 5 1lb rudd yesterday along with 4 tench and loads of decent sized perch. Going to try long lake next.

Brilliant stuff! I guess that must have been maggot in the margins? It may be a while before I try for the rudd because I'm of to Mozambique for nearly 3 weeks next week, and by the time I get back the rivers will be open. But rudd are a great fish, so I will certainly have a go in due course.

john clarke

• 3 years later...
does anyone know how much it is to join thatcham aa or if they allow day ticket fishing on their lakes?

Used to be £50ish but not sure if there is a joining fee ,let my ticket lapse a few years ago but intend to get one for next season as fancy a crack at some of the river beats .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: