Cumbria Fishing Festival – Catch a monster grown-on brown

davestocker

I like to think that I know a fair bit about the fishing in Cumbria but I was gobsmacked the other day to discover that there is a 200 acre lake on the sea-front near Millom, which is so rich in its feeding that it has been producing grown-on brown trout (from fingerlings) that have reached 8lbs. Even bigger are expected! Fishing on Hodbarrow Lagoon is controlled by Cumbrian instructor/guide Lee Cummings (AAPGAI) who has come up with another reason to visit Cumbria’s ‘Wild West’ – to catch a monster brownie on fly.

But this won’t involve ‘fly fishing for trout’ as we usually know it. You’ll need an 8 weight rod capable of turning over large flies, and you will be fishing into the dark.

Go to www.gofishinglakedistrict.co.uk click on Events for Wednesday and Thursday for Lee’s contact details, cost etc.

I like to think that I know a fair bit about the fishing in Cumbria but I was gobsmacked the other day to discover that there is a 200 acre lake on the sea-front near Millom, which is so rich in its feeding that it has been producing grown-on brown trout (from fingerlings) that have reached 8lbs. Even bigger are expected! Fishing on Hodbarrow Lagoon is controlled by Cumbrian instructor/guide Lee Cummings (AAPGAI) who has come up with another reason to visit Cumbria’s ‘Wild West’ – to catch a monster brownie on fly.

But this won’t involve ‘fly fishing for trout’ as we usually know it. You’ll need an 8 weight rod capable of turning over large flies, and you will be fishing into the dark.

Go to www.gofishinglakedistrict.co.uk click on Events for Wednesday and Thursday for Lee’s contact details, cost etc.

Not meaning to belittle the guy's achievements but 30lb + wild fish from Loch Awe smack my gob :o

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Dave I could do with a quick catch up with you are you still at your old address in Lancaster??

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan