Whats new in carping?!

Who out there feels carp baits have advanced as much as they can? each month new baits come out that state they are the most nutritional baits to date,but are they.Or are we just being suckered into spending our hard earned money on a bait that already exists but has a new flavour added to it?!

We all rave on about nutrition and balanced baits,but are they really necessary?

What is nutritous about a piece of luncheon meat? But it catches carp year in year out.I caught my first twenty on luncheon meat flavoured with curry powder,and my boilie rod took one carp of five pounds.

Plus whats good about a dog biscuit or bread? but carp absolutely love them.

Does anyone else feel that boilies have really advanced as far as they are going to,after all there is only so much you can do with a boiled bait.

Me i'm gunna stick with something cheap like the source which has all i want in it,and i can flavour it to get some diffrent responces.

Never forget the natural baits!!! long may the maggot rein

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's new in carping? How about moronic behaviour, violence, racism, commercial over-exploitation, full-timers using rod hours as a substitute for skill - I'm sure the list goes on.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

LOL – Get out of the wrong side of bed this morning Peter?

So ‘moronic behaviour, violence and racism’ is purely down to carp angling is it?

And as for ‘commercial over-exploitation’ – You’re having a laugh! The hundred-plus holes in the ground round here aren’t full of carp, I can assure you!!

:rolleyes:

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I will try moving my bed away from the wall - perhaps that will help :)

A quick glance at any carp angling forum will soon show you that it is populated by a species, whose outlook on life in general seems to be far removed from that of twenty or more years ago. It has become all about instant gratification and has almost developed its own gang culture, where "respect" among a like-minded peer group is now the main aim.

Interestingly enough, this uncaring, aggressive, ultra right-wing attitude seems to be largely absent among other groups of anglers. The barbel lads will sometimes have a good go, but at least they usually see sense and issue apologies :)

Judging by the age group that largely represents this creed, it is probably yet another result of the selfishness propogated by Thatcher and her cronies.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter,

quote:

A quick glance at any carp angling forum will soon show you that it is populated by a species, whose outlook on life in general seems to be far removed from that of twenty or more years ago.

Tar’em all with the same brush, eh? Look a little deeper and you will also find a group of anglers (young and old) with a genuine enthusiasm for their quarry and a sincere willingness to learn.

quote:

Interestingly enough, this uncaring, aggressive, ultra right-wing attitude seems to be largely absent among other groups of anglers. The barbel lads will sometimes have a good go, but at least they usually see sense and issue apologies

LOL – I see the same back biting, bitching and general all round nastiness all around me, irrespective of the species - A great deal of it on commercial waters where the aim seems to be getting one over on those all around you at any cost. The barbel lads are just as bad, mind you it’s mainly the ones that fish for’em in Stillwater’s.

quote:

Judging by the age group that largely represents this creed, it is probably yet another result of the selfishness propogated by Thatcher and her cronies.

Possibly, but this reflects on the person in general rather than the fact they are into carp fishing. There are countless individuals with the same outlook and you’ll find them all over the land, not just in a bivvy.

I think your comments do little for angling unity and furthermore do a great disservice to the many (like me) who devote a huge amount of time and effort getting interested youngsters and novices into the sport. Luckily, most of the youngsters and novices I work with have not got the same blinkered attitudes to other types of angling.

"Tar’em all with the same brush, eh? Look a little deeper and you will also find a group of anglers (young and old) with a genuine enthusiasm for their quarry and a sincere willingness to learn."

I'm afraid that even a casual glance in some directions will quickly reveal the exact opposite. If I had a child of an impressionable age, I would have to put some of the angling forums on the blocked sites list.

I hate to say it, but it's the kind of hate mail that gets posted on forums these days that gives carp angling a bad name. Any enthusistic youngsters trying to get help on them must be horrified and bewildered by some of the posts that are likely to come across. They would soon get the impression that all carp anglers are foul mouthed lager louts, football hooligans and misogynists. It all seems to have got very nasty over the past few years.

I thoroughly admire you for trying to redress the balance.

Peter, could you possibly point me to some of these forums as in all honestly I haven't really come across this very much, although I don't visit a huge number anyway.

Reading some of Julian's responses on here as well as others they have made a huge impression on me concerning learning to find the fish rather than what looks fishy and cast a bait to that spot. I think sitting by all day catching nothing is going to be bettered by me doing some home work more on the waters.

In terms of what's new, more things out there to catch the angler rather than the fish nowadays :( as it seems has been the case for a while. I'll admit to buying unneccessary things but if they make me more confident then great :D

James

Peter,

I fear your obvious distain for carp angling in general would stop you from spotting a proper carp angler on the bank even if you walked right into one! There are a great many carp anglers in this very forum, are you saying we are all foul mouthed lager louts, football hooligans and misogynists? :rolleyes:

There is always going to be an amount of idiots in every walk of life; but to sully *all* those who partake in carp angling as moronic, violent racists is pure infantile tosh. You are fully entitled to your opinion, but when stripped down to the core, your sweeping general-isms will only inflame the situation and antagonise true carp anglers. As such, your actions are no better than those of the carp anglers (your words) you are so quick to chastise.

Did i say something so bad here to get this kind of reply?!!

Or are you just a little annoyed with life in general to make them kind of generalisations peter?

To step away from this very strange reply and get back to what i said before,are boilies really the best bait we can use?

I got caught up in the boilie race (and i'm not saying everyone does this) for two years,and brought all kinds of top name ranges.

Some were instant,some took time with careful baiting BUT all worked on there day.

The problem is when i stepped back from this and tried to use the naturals again as i felt i was pigeon holing myself,i found the same results were true (especially in winter) and sometimes better.It opened my eyes.

I now try to keep a open mind and will try many things that i think are safe for the carp.

My uncle mixed up pilchards into a crap bait and caught a twenty?! if there eating there take anything!!!!!