Turning a positive into a negative...

Arkie

Not so long ago I posted a topic entitled 'Turning a negative into a positive'. Some of you may recall the post and the adventures contained therein, and for those of you who missed it, here's a link Previous Post

Well I thought for the purposes of keeping anglings ying and yang in harmony, I would post my latest adventure.

Having managed to secure another rare full day away from my shop and on the back of my previous success, I decided not suprisingly to head for the same pond that served me so well a couple of weeks ago. This time I packed ALL of my gear, which included my match rod, feeder rod, margin pole, 13m pole and a couple of carp rods for good measure.

Of course I wasn't going to need any of these as I had my trusty 'Top Two Tinca Teasing Tackle'. I would simply set up my chair, place my pint of maggots to hand and fish at my feet exactly as I did on my previous visit and wait for a day of personal bests.

Ok so an hour went by and not much happening, in fact not even a nibble. But I'm sure that's how it went last time. Two hours went by and except for a rougue twig taking my float under, still not much happening. Hour three and now it was just getting beyond silly. Three long hours and not a sniff, not a knock, couldn't catch the clap in a bangkok brothel.

Who's stupid idea was it to try catching fish with a top two. size 18 elastic, 4lb line, 18 hook and single red maggot? Oh yeah I remember, it was my stupid idea.

Oh well not to worry, at least this time I had a back up plan, namely all my other rods and poles.

Decided after three hours of inactivity, the feeder rod was the way to go, a decision based mainly on the fact that the guy next to me was bagging up on his feeder like nothing I had ever seen. Not wanting to bore you with my very uninteresting feeder session, I'll skip 2 more hours with nothing to show. So that's 5 hours of my precious day gone and except for a most delicious bacon butty curtesy of the pond owner, this wasn't turning out to be a very pleasant experience.

I just couldn't understand it. My last visit to this venue proved so successful. I had 'cracked' it, I knew the secret, I couldn't fail, anglers far and wide would be throwing money at me to reveal my 'Top Two Tinca Teasing Technique'.

So what to do now? Out came the match rod. After careful plumbing of depths and delicate shotting, the waggler had to be the way to go. Let's move forward to hour 7. Nothing, zilch, nadda, zero, zip, naught.

I decided it must be a bait issue, so like all good novice anglers I delved deep into the bait bag and went wild. By the end of the day I had tried maggots, jelly pellets, worm, casters, bread, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, cat meat, bread, prawns, part of my sauage roll, a hair rigged blueberry from my fruit yoghurt and paste.

Hour 8 came and went and hour 9 was only notable for the maginificent mirror carp being played for a full 20 minutes in the peg to my left. 29lb 5oz for anyone who's interested.

Hour 10 drifted into the mist and enough was enough. I had received a thouroughly good spanking from the pond that tickled my piscatorial taste buds only a few days ago. It evidently felt fishing equilibrium needed to be restored and that a not so young coarse fishing newbie needed to be taught a very important lesson.

With my tail between my legs, I packed everything away, apologised to the pond Gods for taking it for granted and headed home.

Today I learnt the phrase 'being water licked'. Not a phrase I wish to hear or use at anytime in the future.

So folks, that's how to 'Turn a positive into a negative' arkie style.....

That'll make plenty of people feel better! Yes, we've all been there, I call it fishing karma - you should have evened it out now :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Nice write up and a really good read! I like the expression 'being water licked' aswell! I seam to be better at that than catching fish all together some days! Does give you more bite for next time though!