books

mike1234

since i have read all my stephen king and dean koontz books i thought i could spend my time reading about fishing and learn more about rigs and tactics rather than pestering on here when ever i get a problem

so can anyone recommend any books/authors worth looking up

What areas particularly interest you Mike?

most of my fishing is done around my local farm pools which contain carp from 2 to 20lb, tench up to about 6lb, and small bream and roach, most of my fishing until recently was done either on the float or swim feeder,

but i have start experimenting a bit with new rigs as most of the pools i fish are fished with modern tactics and some seem to work better than others. i was just looking for a good way of getting a better understanding of fish behavior and why certain rigs will work better than others in different environments. the internet as been great on finding out how to tie every kind of rig under the sun but not so great at explaining when, where, or what conditions they should be used under. i have experimented with a few but i would like to have a better understanding of why they work or dont work on different waters

i know somethings you have just got to learn by trail and error but i am sure some wisdom can be handed down

anything i can learn about what methods to apply to make the best of where i happen to be fishing would be great

Then I suppose the best "all round" book is really John Wilsons "Coarse Fishing" ISBN 1 85613 144 0.

Dont seem to "fashionable" so you can get one on Fleabay for under a £10. Or use the ISBN number to order one in at your local library.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It's a very broad brush you paint with, Mike.

I totally agree with Budgie, but if you have an interest in individual species, anything written by Jim Gibbinson, our own Steve Burke's 'Book of the Perch' are obvious candidates as they are technical but certainly not what I'd call 'dry'.

I also liked reading Hugh Falkus's books - and whatever you may think about the man himself, he was a great writer, particularly about trout and salmon fishing.

By 'dry' I mean, they contain a lot of technical information, but you can read them as books to enjoy rather than points of reference to be dipped in and out of.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Then I suppose the best "all round" book is really John Wilsons "Coarse Fishing" ISBN 1 85613 144 0.

I'd read a few people recommend this book on here so I got it out of my local library for a look first.

It's a great book, detailing 32 different fishing methods for a variety of species and conditions. The most appealing aspect of the book for me is the clear illustrations. It's really is well presented.

I've no idea if this version is different but it's the one I got, and it's cheap 2nd hand at Amazon:

John Wilson's Course Fishing Method Manual

The one Budgie recommended is even cheaper:

John Wilson's Course Fishing

I've only looked at the sections of interest to me so I don't know whether there's the likes of Method fishing or stuff like that in it?

EDIT: What about the Fox Modern Guide to Carp Fishing? Probably no good for Roach or skimmers but I'm sure the techniques can be adopted and scaled-down for Tench and large Bream, too. Anyone able to offer an opinion on this book or would it be better asking in the Carp forum?

Edited by Norfolk Rob