Crayfish

Ed Matysiak

Yes I have and yes they will. Legal issues with using them in the UK though.

I have also found that on waters that hold good crayfish populations, shrimp tend to be an exellent bait. Especially with a bit of crayfish scented oil on them.

And BTW - pike, zander, and catfish (at least the US ones) think highly of them as well.

Attach directly to the hook with a bait band or on a stiff hair attached the same way.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Koi Carp:

Has anybody ever used crayfish as bait? Im told that on large ponds and lakes that have crayfish in them, the carp go mad on them. Is this true??? Will a carp eat a crayfish?

Crayfish have tended to be a traditional chub bait, but carp will eat anything that's edible so no reason why they wouldn't take one. The native crayfish is however a protected species in serious decline because of the introduction of the US Signal crayfish (bigger, more aggressive and carrying disease that native crayfish have no immunity to), and so use of crayfish as bait is illegal. This also includes the Signal I believe so that people can't argue they thought it was a signal when caught using them.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

davidP:

Crayfish have tended to be a traditional chub bait, but carp will eat anything that's edible so no reason why they wouldn't take one.

davidP - it's more than just that carp will eat anything. They do seem to be seriously fond of crays when they are available. In preference to many of the more traditional parts of their diet.

Given the legal issues in the UK though - might be safer to target carp with shrimp and a cray scented oil dip where there are lots of crayfish.

If you have trouble getting a cray scented oil, they are a standard scent for bass lures and any US angling site should have several for sale.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President