15lb Mainline - Do i need a shockleader ??

g4fne

Ho Everyone.

I'm using 3lb TC rods with 3oz leads & on occasions a small pva stick. Casting up to 100 yds (defo no more).

If i spool up with 15lb mainline, will i need a shockleader ??

What mainline (not braid though) would you suggest ... i'm tempted by Shimano Technium 15lb ... any further recommendation appreciated.

Many Thanks

g4fne - you are in sort of a gray area here.

2oz cast to 60 yards on 15lb line and I'd say you absolutely would not need a shockleader unless you did the jerkiest casts of any human alive.

4oz cast to 100 yards on 15lb line and absolutely you would need a shockleader.

Personally, I would opt for shockleader with the rig you mention because at best, you are right at the upper limit of safety and add a PVA bag would put you over.

Mainline - since you say no braid I can't help here.

[ 17. February 2005, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

a 100 yards thats more line than on my reel and what with all the knots joining the bits together i can only get 50

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ithink you will struggle to get 100 yrds with 15 lb line and a pva bag u need to go down to about 10 lb and buy a tapered shockleader esp do a good one they go from 15lb to45lb from any good tackle shop where they will be able to give you advice on knots and such.100 yrds is a lot further than most people think....

chesters1:

a 100 yards thats more line than on my reel and what with all the knots joining the bits together i can only get 50

chesters1 - think of it this way. You are probably the only angler around who ties broken shoelaces together for a mainline and can still cast 50 yards (or even 50 feet).

:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

G4, you should be pretty safe with 15lb, but make sure you use a good knot. I use a twice thro eye 5turn blood for the swivel and 15lb Sensor and whack 3.25 and a couple of stringers over 90yds.

Without stringer (and downwind :D ) I can get 110 with the same line and weight.

If you need you can switch to 20lb braid and get less diameter but you probably wont get much further.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

sensor

15 should be fine without a shockey

u may struggle for the distance though, depends on the diameter, u want a low diameter for casting big range, but if 100 yards is a maximum and you are only occassionally casting that far, u should be fine. I used a similar setup no the river ebro and 120 yards was fine

[ 17. February 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Blank ]

Whatever floats your boat...

See how I float mine, here

switching to braid should put an extra 10-15yards on your cast :)

the idea of whacking a pva bag out 100 yards really doesnt seem like a good idea, for one the bag isnt able to get that far the force of the cast should realiscally rip the bag open a fully loaded pva bag with a 2ounce lead minimum would probably weight in excess of 5ounces :( too much pressure IMO on the bag the lead would come straight out! :( if your bagging up at 100 yards i would opt to change tactics and use a beefy spod rod 30lb Power Pro braid straight through ! then maybe attach a small stringer, (not too long though as the aero dynamics of the stringer will affect the cast)then fish ontop or just off your spodded area!

you could cheat and buy a Bait Boat but thats just cheating

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

A key factor is whether shockleaders are permitted on the water you intend to fish. On some waters they are banned.

Pro s of the shock leader are if your timing is out you do not crack off.

Down side with a shockleader is if you really go for it you might get broken rod if you screw up.

One disadvantage I noted with a shock leader is the damage you can do to a Titan Viper if not paying attention :(

Last season I really screwed up as I lost my footing really going for the "big one" the 45lb shock leader snapped (in the thick bit).....hell of crack..... :rolleyes: