Record fish

Arf

So, how does it work then...

Imagine you had to go fishing on the first day the rivers were open again and you caught 50 lb pike!

You were fishing alone a few miles away from civilization.

What would you need to do to claim it as a record, seeing as though you are supposed to release it unharmed?

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

So, how does it work then...

Imagine you had to go fishing on the first day the rivers were open again and you caught 50 lb pike!

You were fishing alone a few miles away from civilization.

What would you need to do to claim it as a record, seeing as though you are supposed to release it unharmed?

The procedure is <HERE>

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

A 50ib river pike would be quite a fish, If you was in the middle of nowhere i supose you would have to use your mobile to call a friend who could get there quickly whilst retaining the fish, If i felt in any way it would compromise the welfare of the fish it would have to be photoed and weighed and returned. Without witnesses to the capture you would be open to all sorts of disbelivers and controversy.

Im cagey enough when i have a good twenty. I probably wouldnt even bother with claiming a record. I would be happy with a few pics and the memory.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

A 50ib river pike would be quite a fish, If you was in the middle of nowhere i supose you would have to use your mobile to call a friend who could get there quickly whilst retaining the fish, If i felt in any way it would compromise the welfare of the fish it would have to be photoed and weighed and returned. Without witnesses to the capture you would be open to all sorts of disbelivers and controversy.

Im cagey enough when i have a good twenty. I probably wouldnt even bother with claiming a record. I would be happy with a few pics and the memory.

Sods law dictates that when you catch something like this, you will be miles from anyone, you would just have dropped your camera in the river, and your scale had rusted solid.

I guess the question then becomes, do you tell anyone about it? And thereby risk being labeled a b*llshit bertie the rest of your days!

Just hypothetical chit-chat really, I need to be well equipped to know exactly what to do when (not if) I catch that record fish during the first hour of the rivers opening in June :)

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

If your scales have rusted then you'll never know if it's a record or not!

If I caught a record I would report it - I think it's important for historical reasons. If for whatever reason I couldn't get proper witnesses or photos and the claim was rejected, I wouldn't mind.

Depending on where it was caught from, I may try to keep the location secret to prevent the glory hunters. On some waters, that wouldn't matter though.

I really don't like retaining fish, so if the choice was to somehow retain a record fish and wait ages for the right people and equipment to turn up, or weigh it as accurately as I could, get some good photos and release it straight away, I'd do the latter.

If I fished a water where there was a strict no publicity rule, then I would have to respect that, regardless of my own feelings.

Not that I catch many fish big enough, I have never reported a fish to the press. I'll put a post on here if there's a nice story to go with it, but then I'll do that for a small fish (or no fish!) if I think the story is interesting enough. But a record is a different thing, I think there's a duty to report them.

Obviously I would have photos taken in 20 different t-shirts and baseball caps and lie about what tackle and bait I caught it on so I could get myself sponsered :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think there's a duty to report them.

I wouldn't want to claim unless it was a silly one like bullhead or if I was asked to specifically by the owner of the fishery I was fishing. The very last thing I'd want is every glory hunter and their mate fishing in my nice quiet spots!

Also it would be rubbish to be a 'name' and have all the back biting and suspicion surrounded with it!

Obviously I would have photos taken in 20 different t-shirts and baseball caps and lie about what tackle and bait I caught it on so I could get myself sponsered rolleyes.gif

Don't forget 20 different locations so you then claim it 20 times and get the sponsorship each time!

Rich