Hatch Covers

Elton

I decided that it's about time I sorted my boat out....and promptly made matters worse.

Anyway, I have a front hatch that has a bodged cover on (a piece of wood screwed in place). I just did a quick Google search for 'boat hatch covers', but they seemed to be very expensive yacht-things.

Can you buy covers on their own, or is it normal to make them yourselves?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I decided that it's about time I sorted my boat out....and promptly made matters worse.

Anyway, I have a front hatch that has a bodged cover on (a piece of wood screwed in place). I just did a quick Google search for 'boat hatch covers', but they seemed to be very expensive yacht-things.

The only way you'll buy one off the shelf is from Wilson's, Elton. Other than that, it wouldn't be too hard to make one. Messy, yes, but not hard. :lol:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Just another thought. Why not have a look in old matey's yard in Woodbridge? He's bound to have something that'll fit. It doesn't have to be a snug fit, a little oversize will be fine as long as the upstands on the bow are still in place.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

They're not difficult to make Elton. Make the frame from hardwood...if there's any curve in the deck then make a cardboard template and apply that to the frame...cut and sand to fit. For the top you can use either plexiglass if you need the light or marine ply if not. There are all sorts of fixtures you can use to hold it down, but these can often be found second-hand at the local boatyard. Do use brass or stainless...anything less will inevitably rust.

Cheers, chaps.

I've been thinking about this (which is always dangerous):

The current hatch is, basically, a rectangular hole in the deck, with a raised lip.

Is there anything to stop my taping that over and then fibreglassing directly on top of the tape? i.e. I'd be using the actual hatch as a mould, in effect.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Cheers, chaps.

I've been thinking about this (which is always dangerous):

The current hatch is, basically, a rectangular hole in the deck, with a raised lip.

Is there anything to stop my taping that over and then fibreglassing directly on top of the tape? i.e. I'd be using the actual hatch as a mould, in effect.

That could work. Mask up the whole bow, though, because the resin will run. Will need to be tidied up with an angle grinder afterwards.

Don't drink and drive.

Elton, Hiya,..Not sure what you want to do mate...but if you can, post a pic, and I'll see whats kicking around the shed/garage, I have a few boaty things lying around..:):)

Davy Holt made some brilliant hatch covers, not hard to do at all..:):) just some time involved..have a read here mate...

http://www.catchalot.co.uk/rebuild.htm

near the end, hes made hatches within hatches..:)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

'Ere Murph, what happened to the tarpaulin and rope idea then? LOL

I'm sure you'll be able to make a hatch easy enough mate - it's not that hard. Just don't go sniffing the resin or you'll fall off the boat!