Kayaking in the Lake District

davestocker

I would have liked to include an event in or Cumbrian festival of fishing that would be of interest to kayakers and float tubers. Are there any folk who might be interested in paddling with oar or feet in the Cumbria lakes in mid-May?

It would be very interesting to see what Buttermere, Crummock Water and Loweswater might throw up to fly fishers, and pike fishers. I doubt they've ever been fished by tube, or kayak, tho I may be wrong.

Hi there ,I Kayak fished Crummok last year for Pike and done allright, although access aint great, mainly fish Derwentwater, Bassenthwaite and the sea off the Yak, from what i can gather theres a few of us in cumbria who kayak fish though im still to see one in the flesh,Windemear and Coniston seem to get a few fellas kayak fishing.

Hi there ,I Kayak fished Crummok last year for Pike and done allright, although access aint great, mainly fish Derwentwater, Bassenthwaite and the sea off the Yak, from what i can gather theres a few of us in cumbria who kayak fish though im still to see one in the flesh,Windemear and Coniston seem to get a few fellas kayak fishing.

How true about access! The biggest problem with the Western lakes is parking, and if there were enough folk interested in float tubing or kayaking it might be possible to negotiate a bit of extra parking in the Crummock/Buttermere valleys.

I know Crummock has pike, but in May I'm more of a trout fisher. How big have you had them from Crummock?

Hi dave ,iv'e had Pike up no more than 6-7lbs from crummok although im told a lot bigger fish lurk there,Size in Pike is not something im to fussed about as i use ul tactics from the Yak so anything over 4lb gives me a good scrap :)