anglers paradise in devon ( help )

j green

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info, sounds like there are going top be a few of us chasing a 20 nxt week :-).

Actually my main aim for the week is a double figure cat – sounds like octopussy or the speci lake are the best bets? –

Rich – do you know what the stock of cats is like in the main carp lake.? Any pointers for swims / baits. I was intending to try the usuals i.e. liver, squid, big fishmeal boilies, perhaps bunches of lobs (although these got destroyed by the orfe when I tried them last year.)

Last year I took my father with us, who was new to fishing and therefore spent a lot of time helping him. We stuck mainly to the small fish lakes so that he had plenty of action.

We did spend a day on the main carp lake but it chucked it down all day and we had a mini hurricane by mid afternoon so we jacked in without a carp bite (had two 8oz cats and an eel on float fished cockles though!:-)

Also had a day on the koi lake – loads of action but the biggest fish was just over 7lb.

I spent a couple of hours trying to tempt a bite from a couple of big grass carp that were cruising about over the side by the dragon raft – god, they spooky easily !– I eventually managed to get them interested in floating baits and had one of them taking reasonably confidently and heading for my hookbait, only to get sideswiped by a 3lb koi that appeared from nowhere and engulfed my hookbait!! – result 1 surprised koi on the bank and 2 disappearing grass carp!! :-( still we had a great day, i caught over 20 fish with most weighing around the 2 to 3lb mark. Szabi and my father both caught well too. There are some very beautiful fish in there.

Oh – in case any one is interested - baits were float fished maggot + ledgered ,small tutti fruitti boilies.

cheers

Jess

oh and j.green - if you want to say hi - look out for a big bloke (17st 6ft1) with a goaty type beard - thats me :-) + a shorter girl with an Hungarian accent and pony tail - thats szabi :-)

or alternatively a big bloke spending most of his time netting his girlfriends fish!! ;-)

[ 17. August 2005, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Jackcatcher ]

hi jackcatcher

i will look out for you and i will find you there somwhere and i will always be on the lakes

also if you can can you give me some more little advice on how to fish or the swims on the specyand the main carp lake.

thanks

j.green

rich should be able to answer that one cus if he was a member of the 5 cs then he should no very well. by the way i caught well on nash monster persuit on the octopuss. had nothing big or no cats, but i have caught cats on monster persuit at other catfish venues. by the way dont drink to much of zygs wine lol at the barbacue he walks round fillin people up. its incredibly strong i was told it was up to 20 percent which is prity amazing.after 7 classes i was feeling a little :s

and after about 6 pints in the bar i was hammered lol but it was all gd fun. Still got up at 6 to fish though lol.

right then the koi lake is full of fish to about 10lb nothing bigger im afraid :( or at least that i know of. good fun though when your stuggling on the main lakes etc..

Cats in the main lake have gone through the roof, gone arethe days when float fishing down the side and all you would catch are little 1 and 2lb kittens thers probably around 20 in there now (possibly more) up to mid 30. rumours of a 50 went around for a while but with no pics or witness's its difficult to see if he is telling ther truth. cats in the spessi will nudge 30 n easy access is where the lunkers are up to i think 44lb

swims for the cats on the main lakes well its take your pic really, personally i would head round towards the dam wall and up behind the island in the corner, if its hot and the fry are in there then the cats wont be too far behind. suspend a huge ball of worms 2ft under the surface and wtach for the water erupting as a cat flies at it ! aweseome stuff!

Atila never graced my net :( had her feeding like a demon with Aphrodite one afternoon in the extended bit on the side, my bro went on to nail Aphrodite that very night at 32lb. have caught i think 9 fish out of the spessi every one over 20lb. it was netted not so long ago as the pasties were takign over the lake so it should just behome to the lunkers now :) Chaucer came out at just over 35lb a few weeks ago have seen that fish 4 times on the bank sadly not for me though :(

Zygs wine is great, a couple of glasses when you arrive in the bar, a bottle to go back to the villa with and 4-5 glasses at the bbq on sunday superb

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

hi chesh

thanks for he advice and i will try the dam wall because i think it will be good for the carp and cats.

i have just brought some source boilies and pellets(21mm) and some small pellets and im going to use source boilies over a pva bag of pellets and source boilies

and the same with the 21 mm pellets aswell, do you think this is the right choice for some nice fish

thanks

j.green

what i would say is dont be afraid to give them any bait spod the water to a foam if you have the time to ! they do like it in the main lake ! on a 5C weekend i nailed 12 fish in one weekend on the spot in the stream a guy went in after me and caught 19 in 3 days over the same spot :D on my spot ! granted 11 kilo of hemp went in during thre weekend but they loved it :) use a pukka boilie and your literally there. they have just brought out their own range of boilies which i know very little about sadly! i can only asume they are quality baits though as zyg wouldnt want to feed his babies on rubbish !

Theres a stunning 26lber in there thatsa fully sclaed warrior, Matt hayeshad it in the rod race at 22lb, i had it twice at 17lb and 21lb its a corker ! then you got The general at 28lb approx, Excote at roughly the same weight possibly 30lb loads of 20's 21's 22's even more high doubles, loads of big orfe and golden rudd, and of course the cats!

what i might add aswell is there isnt any weed problems either so dont worry about using complicated chod rigs etc.. i did use as well double hook baits !! dare to be different and the rewards are there !

if your stalking the octopussy head for the coner with the monk ! few pellets and freeline the luncheon meator corn its deadly ! even on hot days they will be there rooting around the margins

chaps if you can get on the spessi golden orfe lake ur in for a treat ! take a few pints of maggots with and keep them going in :D they will soon home in on them :) any one up for a potential record ? (even though its just about the fishing eh)

chaps i cant think of much more to tell you apart from enjoy it, the accomodation is first class, the hospitaility is truly world class, the bar is somethign tobe seen, ask Zyg to see Big Dicks silver tankard hahaha (gotta brag) if your on a 5C weekend (first weekend of temonth) say hello the guys usually Maggot Mick, nev ponting, Tweedle dee and Tweedle dum, maybe beer monster (a true legend) and of course Zyg and Rose, the dogs are ace but dont let zyg catch you with them after hours he dont like them stopping in bivvies etc.. Rose's BBQ is stunning well worth the money, and watch out for Zyg after the BBQ and his shop, when the wine flows he wishes the wallets open hahahhaa the spiel never changes either 5lb orfe 5lb tench 20lb carp 20lb cat. if you catch a 30lber tell us and we will open abottle of bubbly on the bank zyg has the first swig but only a little one (oh how i miss that place) ! and trust me thats at any time of the day too whether it be 7am or midnightthe chaomerswill flow and a pic in the angling comics (if youlike that so rtof thing) :D

if i get any more info i will pass it on

have a top holiday chaps

Chesh

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk