Cat rig?

Common 40

I will be doing a fair ammount of cat fishing this season, :confused: and I have been told of a sure fire rig from one of the countries leading guru's in fishing. A size 4 hook with 5 of the biggest lob worms air injected and looped round on a long hair rig. I would not be too confident however of the bait still being on say after 2/3 hours, I also have no idea on how to construct the rig, If anyone could give me any help here I would be grateful (BTW the man in question was Kieth Arthur)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just bump up carp rigs most cats if they share the water eat boilies a nice oily one on a hair should catch the pests

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

not when i'm after carp

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

First of all forget complicated rigs for cats mate,just no need.Worms are a great bait er but thats the problem they are to great a bait and everything will be on them!

Where are you fishing and what type of waters are they?Im certainly not in the same league as Keith Arthur but I reckon I might be able to help you a bit with cats! :D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

while your on the subject, i will be fishing for cats for 1 week later in the year at docklow pools, never tried for the species before. whats your advice for getting one out during my holiday?

steve.

Well Budgie, I will be fishing at WHITEACRES Pats pool, its about a two acre pond with an abundance of carp to 25lb and roughly 10 cats to 50lb. But the pond has been hammered time after time, week after week, with every day angler and his dog. The cats are not easy to catch in this pond. I personally have never fished for them, being a carp angler now for 30 years with a pb of 39lb from bluebell lakes Peterborough (in search of Benson) but it will be part of my campaign this season. Keith does his regular seminars down there to all the top teams in the country on a regular basis. I had the benefit of capturing him one night and asked him the question in my first post, and after about 20 mins with him he advised me to fish with the rig mentioned, I humbly ask on this forum how to construct this rig?

Ive no idea how to construct the rig he says about but with out any disrespect to Keith Arther he isnt exactly renowned for being a catfish angler and would sugest there are far better proven methods for catching them.Can you use/are you happy in using live bait at the venue you are visiting and does it contain any pike?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie can correct me if Wels behave that differently from the catfish I catch but in general, hair rigs are fairly low percentage rigs for them. I'm much more fond of a large circle hook (maybe 2/0 - 6/0 for the size fish you speak of) with the bait on the hook.

Usually does a nice job of getting a good lip hook and once hooked on a circle, I can't rember losing a cat except to line breaks.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President