catty vs. pva bags

I use pva mesh mainly as I cant use a catty to save my life.... something about the inability to hit a cow's ar$e with a banjo!

It's a personal thing, but I prefer to present my freebies tightly around the hook bait, so I often have the hoobait inside the PVA itself.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I think, and this is my own preference through experience, PVA is a superb way of presenting a pile of offerings and hook bait, But is a pile of boilies natural? Sure we have all caught on this attack, howvever,I have had more success on a single hookbait or a 3 bait stringer,a good scattering of freebies say 20m square. I am convinced the bigger fish feed off the baited area watching the little buggers till they feel safe I will generally put 2 rods in the same area one on the bait and one on the fringe of my baited area and I have been very welcomed with the bigger fish, in fact my PB came off the edge of my baited spot... hope this helps..

Heres what I do and WHY.

I ALWAYS use a pva bag even tiny ones with only a few pellets in.

REASON : PRESENATION

Any type of hooklength can tangle round your tubing during the cast.

If your hooklength is inside OR has a small pva bag towing behind it during the cast (and is feathered down on landing so the bag lands behind the lead ) it wont.

I even do this fishing margins a rod length away.

Most of the time I will use a medium size pva bag.

REASON : The venue I fish is mixed and even a shoul of small silver fish will bash the pile of pellets and spread them about.

The bigger fish will eat a few pellets, Tench even spit them all over the swim.

I also belive a pile of pellets can help camo your hooklength.

THEN I either Spod if beyond catty range or catty if in range a good helping of pellets, (or hemp, partiblend, corn etc ) and a few hookbaits.

REASON : scattered baits get fish searching for food. A static fish may pick up your bait and spit it out before it hits the lead.

A moving fish is moving and if it picks up your bait has more chance of feeling lead and bolting before spitting out bait.

Tuesday just gone I fished a very short session.

It was going to be 8pm until 9.45pm.

I put out two rods both with small pva bags with a mix of pellets and 21mm halibut pellets as hook baits.

I also cattied out two pouches of pellets around each area fished to.

At 9.20 pm my left hand alarm went of and the swinger hit the rod. This was fished tight to some lillies.

I struck into nothingness (I belive a fish ran into my line under rod tip (backleaded)).

As I only had 25 mins left and had packed just about everything away I cast the single bait on its own back to the same area but landed about two foot short.

I knew it was still within the scattering of bait but a foot or two away from the bed laid by the pva bag.

After packing up the other rod I bent down to reel in this rod and at the same time had a slow dropback bite.

I picked up rod and wound into fish.

It must of still been flying towards me as I could feel a slight kick and that was it.

Then it surfaced and turned away in front of me bending the rod into a nice arc as it started another run.

I soon controlled him and had him in the net.

A common of 10lb.

I have used the combined pva / scattering method since getting really into carping two years ago and it works for me.

As for carp on the drop.

Last season I cast out a pva bag threaded onto hooklength with bait at the bottom underneath.

As the bag/lead hit bottom and I put rod into rest I had a savage take which resulted with a fish on the bank.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!