hello everyone I'am a new member

chef

just to let everyone know I'm computer+broadband virgin just went live at the weekend have spend most of the weekend going out of my mind getting up and running well a say running it's more like crawling . my laptop nearly bit the dust a few times . the reason that i have joined this site is i have herd and seen that YOU ALL give great advice and easy to follow guides .I am not tech savy

I would appreciate any help that you all could give me when a problem arises :o .

Many thanks

Hi chef.

Details about your laptop (including the amount of memory and the operating system) would be a huge help.

Also, is it your internet speed or your PC that is crawling?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

the reason that i have joined this site is i have herd and seen that YOU ALL give great advice and easy to follow guides .I am not tech savy

Did you really join an angling forum just to get advice about your computer?

If you've seen the level and tone of support on some targeted forums, his idea makes good sense.

We've had enough people join but restrict themselves to the photography or fish keeping forums so why not this one?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi chef.

Details about your laptop (including the amount of memory and the operating system) would be a huge help.

Also, is it your internet speed or your PC that is crawling?

my laptop is runing visa home premium,AMD Athlon Dual-core QL-62,3GB Ram,250 hard drive and the make is a HP G60.Broadband is with bt via home hub 2.0.

The proplem is with the broadband speed i don't know if it just because it has just be set up or that iam too far from an exchange????????

and yes i do fish (sea)

Did you really join an angling forum just to get advice about your computer?

not exactly the usual friendly welcome that this site is known for !!! B)

perhaps getting pc right is biggest priority at the moment and exploring the site and getting used to the different forums will follow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

judy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

That is certainly plenty of PC (way more power and speed than mine) and Vista is good about making use of the broadband connection without the user needing to tweak the setup.

Try the speed tests at http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/speedtest/ and http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ (only click on the speed test - you DO NOT want their free scan or speed enhancer items). Compare what they see as your speed with what you are paying for and post back.

You could possibly be so far from the nearest exchange that at best, you have a fairly slow connection but more likely, there are some adjustments your provider needs to make.

You are very welcome here. Ignore the remark by yorkio - he may have had a touch of indigestion or something.

That is certainly plenty of PC (way more power and speed than mine) and Vista is good about making use of the broadband connection without the user needing to tweak the setup.

Try the speed tests at http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/speedtest/ and http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ (only click on the speed test - you DO NOT want their free scan or speed enhancer items). Compare what they see as your speed with what you are paying for and post back.

You could possibly be so far from the nearest exchange that at best, you have a fairly slow connection but more likely, there are some adjustments your provider needs to make.

You are very welcome here. Ignore the remark by yorkio - he may have had a touch of indigestion or something.

thankyou sir :thumbs: . Guess a should sent yorkio some rennie's that should clear his indigestion up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried both site and got 7816 kbits download in 2.171 sec from zdnet and 4296 kbps download and upload of 370 kps IS THAT GOOD?????????

Those are both decent scores and should see you thinking your internet is reasonably fast. We have a medium speed internet service (not willing to pay for really fast) and I got similar results.

The slower upload speed is normal. Most of us don't really need to be able to push stuff out really fast so the usual for an ISP is to give you fast in and slow out.

Exactly what seems slow to you? Your raw broadband speed (how fast stuff moves in and out) seems fine.

Also as a sort of quick & dirty test of the PC, download http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx and run it to have a detailed look at exactly how much resource is being used and (when you aren't doing much of anything) if you have less than 90% free CPU use on average.

Those are both decent scores and should see you thinking your internet is reasonably fast. We have a medium speed internet service (not willing to pay for really fast) and I got similar results.

The slower upload speed is normal. Most of us don't really need to be able to push stuff out really fast so the usual for an ISP is to give you fast in and slow out.

Exactly what seems slow to you? Your raw broadband speed (how fast stuff moves in and out) seems fine.

Also as a sort of quick & dirty test of the PC, download http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx and run it to have a detailed look at exactly how much resource is being used and (when you aren't doing much of anything) if you have less than 90% free CPU use on average.

thanks for your help laptop now runing fine :thumbs: