March Madness

severus

What we here in the states call March Madness - the annual NCAA college basketball tournament to decide the national champion - is nearly over. The 64-team field has been winnowed down to two teams, one from the University of North Carolina, and the other from Michigan State University.

Newt and Jan should be rooting for UNC tomorrow night, while I will be hoping for a MSU win. UNC crushed MSU by 35 points back in December, though, and are favored to do it again. They probably will, but it should be a great game regardless who wins. This is the only time of year I watch b-ball because it's so good, they play their hearts out.

So Newt and Jan, good luck. NOT. :D

Ken

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

North Carolina may win but the Michigan team is vastly improved over their early season so it should be a good game.

I was impressed with they way the handled the hulks on the Connecticut team yesterday to reach the finals. Out-muscled but never out-hustled.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well, the game went about how I thought it would. UNC certainly left no doubt as to which team was better, and they earned their trophy. What a machine they were in the first half. They were outstanding.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

I think at least a part of that may well have been the MI youngsters still being a little tired from their battle Saturday to win the semi-finals against a much larger and physically stronger team.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I am not a Basketball fanatic, but I was disappointed as heck anyway that MSU lost. MSU is my school, after all. Everybody is depressed on campus today; we were all looking forward to a bit of a celebration today.

Hopefully the MSU folk will come to feel the way I did when the Tarheels beat Duke this year (twice). On those two days and in those two games, they won because they played better.

I can tolerate a thumping by a stronger team much better than a day when we simply melted down without much help from the opponents and would have lost to almost any sort of team.