PVA - mesh or bags ?

craynerd

Just wondering which u guys use and what size? At the moment i`m using medium ESP bags, the ones with holes in, yet every time i see what i would consider as a decent angler or at least more experienced than me, they seem to be using mesh !

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Down to personal preference on this one mate.

I prefer mesh, simply because I know its going straight to the bottom where I want it! You mentioned bags with holes in! The reason for this is that if you don't put holes in bags then they will float until the pva melts. You can prick the bags and they will be ok.

I will often use a stick and pull the hooklength through it - another reason for my preference! You can't really do that with a bag.

I use wat ever suits my situation.

For instance mesh can be good at certain times of the year, i use the mesh mostly for summer, as i find it acctualy breaks down slower that solid bags in the winter,

so for most of my winter fishing and spring fishing im either a small bag of ground bait, or a small mesh bag of particles.

But as has been said above its all down to personaly preference.

They are some top notch bags Chris, and they are at a superb price!!! they will do you for everything,

Fishrite Top PVA Bag Selection!!

and might i recomend the Korda PVA or Mo's Co PVA, it is cheaper, thinner holes and more adaptable i find. I like the Boilie mesh best as i can make Dynamite sticks from it, during the summer

Mo's Co PVA Mesh

[ 26. March 2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: carping_mad ]

Yes of course you can do it with a bag, but there is no advantage to be had by doing it! What is its purpose?

I ain't being funny mate, but how do you work out that mesh breaks down more slowly in winter than bags? It ain't logical!

[ 26. March 2005, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: mpbdsnu ]

i know it isnt logical mate,

but think i had some dodgy PVA from this mirical Mesh company, but as always i put some groud up boilies, in a mesh bag, and squished em down like usual, for a stick, and put some in one of my mini pva bags, and squished it down to and, put them both in together and found my pva bag broke down nearly 25 seconds quicker than the mesh,

(think the mesh could be of a thicker variety to the usual korda and Mo's stuff, as it is a litle like PVA string, which also takes an age to disolve)

That explain it at all mate? :)

With bags you can drop your lead and hooklength in with your freebies.

With mesh you have to thread the hook / hooklength through the mesh which can end up in total disaster OR with mesh for short/medium work you can nick the bag on the hook.

I use both for different situations.

Mesh for sticks and short range.

Bags for medium / long range.

If you can only afford one sort go for bags as they are more versatile.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!