fishing the method

Iv'e just stared method fishing myself. I have only managed a dozen Tench and a few bream to date but had no trouble with lost fish. I have been using barbless hooks size 10/12 with bolie/corn hookbaits. I have been using the fox feeders. Im not to sure about a method mix though any ideas on that one.?

I had some success with vitalin dog food last year fishing a single piece of popped op corn on a size 10. Just add hot water before you leave for a session and it should be perfect when you start fishing. Can be a bit sticky so it might be a good idea to add a bit of brown crumb to dry it out a bit. you can add allsorts to this. I add hemp and a mixture of pellets.

In regards to losing fish, I had this problem when i used the very stiff method mixes and found that it was still moulded around the feeder when a fish was hooked and having this large weight swinging on the line near the hook would sometimes dislodge it from the fishes mouth. So now I dont squeeze it so hard or I use the vitalin which breaks down fairly quickly.

Effort equals reward!!

I always use longer than normal hooklengths than advised with method feeders. One of the main problems is the feeder bashing against the fishes face (can`t be too good for it either)and dislodging the hook. If you double or even treble the hooklength its easy enough to shorten it to a good bolt length and just keep the extra looped inside the groundbait. If you coil the hooklength and keep it in place with a small amount of really tightly squeezed mix it will stay in place until the fish goes tearing off then the hooklength pops out and hey presto, no more annoying losses.

wolf.gif

The method won't work everywhere.However i did very well with it last year on a day ticket water.I used Vitalin mixed at the fishery with lake water(important)plus seetcorn pellet and bits and pieces plus bits of hook bait (pepperami).2" hook links and cricket ball size method.On several occasions I had 6 or 7 mid 20's in a day plus a lake record 41.25lb mirror.Size 6 hook.Only lost 2 fish at the most and those dropped off.

• 2 weeks later...