2009 Isle Of Wight Circumnavigation

richi

After paddling round the island last year and taking 26 hours :-[ to do it I had been planning on giving it another go.Last year I hadn't planned on going round in one go,it just happened when I was half way round

I'd been putting in a fair bit of training and had been studying the tides for suitable dates,had originally planned on next bank holiday but as the summer species should be in full flow(and the tope season ;) )then,I decided to go this weekend.

Only thing about this weekend was the suitable launch times either 2am or 2pm.Opted for the 2am and fri evening went to bed at 8pm for a few hours sleep with the alarm set for midnight.

BEEP! was woken with a start and jumped out ready to go only to find I'd been sent a bleeding text!great!how my phone is still in one piece I'll never know!

Finally midnight came and it was time to get ready,load up and head to the launch site which on this occasion was to be Calshot.

Got down to the beach where a few guys were fishing and rigged up for my 2am start,which ended up 5 minutes or so late due to a lengthy chat to the coastguard.

So at 0205 I set off with the ebb towards the Needles

IMGP0608.jpg

IMGP0607-1.jpg

The ebb was helping a great deal once I'd got in the main channel and I managed 9.4mph going past Hurst.

Hit the needles in 2hrs 25minutes B)

It was eerie threading the Needles at night and there was some surf on the bridge

IMGP0610-2.jpg

Headed onwards to St.Catherines,was struggling a bit on this leg,nearly dropped off to sleep a couple of times :angry:

Finally made it to St.Catherines after a further 3 1/2 hours making the time now 8am

IMGP0611-1.jpg

Dunnose with St.Catherines in the distance

IMGP0614-1.jpg

Onwards past Dunnose and Ventnor staying offshore in a direct line with Culver

IMGP0612.jpg

IMGP0615.jpg

Made it to Bembridge Lifeboat station just before midday

IMGP0616-1.jpg

IMGP0618-1.jpg

IMGP0619-1.jpg

Mistook my Lepe mark for Calshot on the gps :-[and ended up paddling against the tide right on the last bit(just when I needed it :angry: )

Finally made it back to Calshot after 13 hours 25 minutes B)

IMGP0620-1.jpg

Boy was it hard lifting the yak on the roof after that!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Problem is now on this forum, it's boring. Hardly any discussions, hardly any posts, apart from Richi who has just PM'd me and I think invited me to engage in fisticuffs :o . Me an old man and all, can't he pick on someone young and strong for fisticuffs? :black_eye:

:yawn:

Anyway, my lad is 6'4 and 17 stone, he would eat Richi for breakfast.

Edited by maidstonemike

Problem is now on this forum, it's boring. Hardly any discussions, hardly any posts, apart from Richi who has just PM'd me and I think invited me to engage in fisticuffs :o . Me an old man and all, can't he pick on someone young and strong for fisticuffs? :black_eye:

:yawn:

Anyway, my lad is 6'4 and 17 stone, he would eat Richi for breakfast.

And why do you think it's become boring Mike? Is it maybe because nobody who gets out on their yak and fishes regularly can be bothered to post on here because you always jump down everyones throats perhaps? A real way to encourage posts and dicusssion, don't you think?

Oh, by the way, 24th December 2008 when you were once again feeling happy and spouting off another diatribe you finished with the following:

"Bye chaps, keep safe, I won't darken your doors again, and for goodness sake stop bickering! "

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

well i thought it was interesting.

i must admit though i thought it was about the round the island race ,you know the one where you can hear silly grown men scream at each other because someone pulls the wrong string or shivers when they should be timbering

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson