River Ivel, Biggleswade

Biggles

When the new season starts I aim to give one of my local free waters, the Back meadow on the River Ivel in Biggleswade, a go, over the years I seem to have moved away from the fishing I did years ago on local rivers and canels onto club waters and commercials and feel it is time to have one season without buying a club book.

Has anyone fished this stretch, from the old mill down to the bridge near Sainsbury's? I just wondered what was in there and what methods and baits work.

Any advice would be appreciated

Biggles

I think this stretch is one of the Ivel Protection Association controlled waters which our club (Verulum AC) is member of.

See here --> <Biggleswade common and Backmeadows> for info about fishing in the Backmeadows area plus the other areas of the river as well.

think this is the area you are talking about. If not it will give you an idea of the rivers fish and fishing potential

NB. 12lb 8oz being the top Barbel last season.

Tight Lines

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

BoldBear, Phil,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, some useful stuff, I will also have a walk along there when the season starts and have a chat with anyone fishing, bet I still end up buying a club book!

Cheers

Biggles

Hi Biggles

Fished it a few times (and the other side of the bridge where i had a 11lb 12oz Barbel :D ) Chub will be the main quarry, though there are Barbel, roach and carp about. i don't think it's an easy water but i've had joy either legering tight to the far bank ...pellet, paste, maggot, bread flake, meat and also trotting breadflake and maggot to features. As dusk falls can catch on the near bank at your feet. again paste has done well. I've also blanked a few times as well !

In the shallow fast water before the bridge, I've never fished it, but I've seen people doing well ....wading 1/2 way and trotting shallow tight to the far bank where there's a run.

Good luck

JAK

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one's lifespan........