A fun carp session with my brother

natty

Yesterday, I took my 11 year old half brother fishing at Passies Match Lake. We arrived at the lake at around 11am and I set both of us up with a simple leger rig with a size 12 barbless hook. For bait we both used hair-rigged 6mm Schnitzel Wurst Carp Vader jelly pellets. We also used a PVA bag of Carp Vader Schnitzel Wurst feed pellets on every cast.

It didn’t take long before we both had our first bites and we both steadily caught small carp for a couple of hours on our leger rods.

Here are a couple of my brother’s carp:

361281225.jpg

361281231.jpg

With the majority of the carp coming on our leger rods being small (under 4lb), I decided to go and bait up a few margin spots around the lake, so I could go stalking later and try and single out a bigger carp. I baited half a dozen nice looking reedy margin spots with some new Carp Vader 2mm Arctic Blue feed pellets and a sprinkling of corn.

I returned to my swim and set up a simple float rig. I crept round to the first margin spot, but there was no signs of carp, however when I peered into the next margin spot I was greeted with the sight of a reasonable sized carp’s tail wafting just below the surface as it was feeding on my free offerings. I carefully lowered my Schnitzel Wurst jelly pellet about 8 inches in front of it. The carp took the bait on the drop and I struggled to control a powerful carp on light tackle, after a decent fight, I eventually managed to slide the carp into the waiting landing net.

Here is the 8lb 10oz mirror:

361281218.jpg

In the meantime, my brother had landed another couple of small carp.

Here they are:

361281211.jpg

361281213.jpg

I continued stalking for another couple of hours and managed to land several more carp, including a couple of larger ones:

361281215.jpg

361281222.jpg

My brother also managed a few more carp on his leger rod, including his largest of the day at 6lb 3oz on his final cast:

361281220.jpg

In the end we both finished off with 12 fish each and really enjoyed a great days fishing.

Nice report and photos Natty.

Your brother's fish seemed to be getting bigger as the session progressed, won't be long before we get a new member and a post entitled "A fun carp session with my brother Natty (I caught the biggest fish)"

Well done :)

It's never a 'six', let's put it back