Don't drink and fish!

Kappa

stagger back to their swims to sleep it off in their bivvies

I have ALWAYS wondered what the point of a bivvy was! Now I know.

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chris Perch

I have been known to have a can or two on june 16th while waiting to cast at midnight but apart from that I would agree booze and fishing dont mix.

Though I dont think an odd one can hurt as long as you dont get plastered any way - who can fish when half cut?(Casting and playing etc would definately suffer)

Chris.

A cold beer on a hot day or a glass of wine with a picnic - nice.

Several beers - dumb. Recent events on Lough Awe should make things crystal clear.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I haven't drank while out fishing but if I was going for a summer over night fishing trip then I see nothing wrong with taking a couple cans of cider/larger with you as long as you remove the rubbish as you would expect to do with anything you took with you.

I agree 48 cans for a weekend is too much but I can't understand why it's legal to drive a car after 1 can but it's frowned upon to drink 1 can while fishing! I was thinking about going to the fishin this year if I got a place at Wingham but not being able to enjoy a small/moderate amount of drink in the evening as the sun goes down makes it seem less enjoyable.

Guest tigger
I haven't drank while out fishing but if I was going for a summer over night fishing trip then I see nothing wrong with taking a couple cans of cider/larger with you as long as you remove the rubbish as you would expect to do with anything you took with you.

I agree 48 cans for a weekend is too much but I can't understand why it's legal to drive a car after 1 can but it's frowned upon to drink 1 can while fishing! I was thinking about going to the fishin this year if I got a place at Wingham but not being able to enjoy a small/moderate amount of drink in the evening as the sun goes down makes it seem less enjoyable.

I can't understand why you've brought up the Wingham fish in . To be honest even if I liked booze and it wasn't allowed at Wingham then I'd leave the booze at home before I'd miss out on fishing a lovely place like Wingham.

but I can't understand why it's legal to drive a car after 1 can but it's frowned upon to drink 1 can while fishing! I was thinking about going to the fishin this year if I got a place at Wingham but not being able to enjoy a small/moderate amount of drink in the evening as the sun goes down makes it seem less enjoyable.

I dont think anyone has sugested that its wrong to have one can or two cans or whatever its kicking the ring out of it thats the issue! But sadly this often seems the norm.

I to cant see what Wingham has to do with it but can tell you that several people have a can or two at the BBQ's and Ive never seen anyone "frown".Like everything it boils down to a bit of common sense.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

it boils down to a bit of common sense.

Exactly seems I'm not alone afterall! Nothing wrong with a can or two it getting plastered I can't understand!

I do a fair amount of session fishing, the lack of sleep (hopefully) and poor food always makes me feel crappy anyway, nevermind a hangover too!

Rich

I'll join you for a cold one if you come to the fish-in! In fact I seem to recall most people having a beer with the BBQ last year.

Drinking so much you wake up with a hangover is clearly not sensible nor desirable, if you're there to actually catch something. But if you do 'accidentally' drink too much, reel in, go to sleep and learn the lesson!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'd normally just take a flask of coffee to go with my sarnies for a day trip, after all I'm driving home.

But if I am overnighting a nice bottle of ale goes down really well as an after supper drink whilst watching the sun go down.

Alcohol consumption as a refreshing drink is all about moderation and you don't have to get rat-arsed to enjoy the odd beer. It's an unfortunate sign of the times that many associate beer drinking with being legless. Even more unfortunately, many more see being intoxicated as a primary objective by swilling as much of the stuff as possible down their necks whenever the opportunity allows (i.e. away from home on a fishing trip). The guy with 48 cans of Strongbow being probably a good example.

It's part of a phenomenon that's been labelled as binge drinking - just visit any High Street in the country at chucking out time on Saturdays. It's a sad reflection on what is a growing social issue in this country and even the government is starting to realise that it may have to do something.

Cheers!

Our chief weapon is surprise