Fiberglass dinghy

barbelbasher68

Hello everyone my name is Carl. I am new to this site.

I would like to ask a question?

Can I fish on the river Severn or Avon etc, In a small Dinghy or rowing boat? Can I use an electric motor? Do I need a special licence, insurance etc. The boat I am after would only be say a ten foot boat. One I could put on my roofrack. Also is there anyone selling one or similar.

Hope you can help Carl. :headhurt:

9. Fish from a moving boat*

Fishing is permitted from the back of a boat moored to the towing path bank. However:

1. You must possess a valid permit or be prepared to purchase one from the controlling angling club or riparian owner when approached on any fishery that offers day permits.

2. You must also possess an Environment Agency rod licence available in advance online or from any post office.

Source

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

That was the quick version before going to bed but although it covers the licencing issues, it has to be said that it impies that you can only legally fish from a boat that is moored to the bank and I don't think that thats right.

On the broads, you can troll but only from a boat that isn't under power but in other areas, you can use an engine.

Also, if you could only fish whilst moored to the bank, it would render most fishing in the lake district, most fishing punts (including those used by the like of John Wilson) and every pike boat on former trout reseviours illegal.

Best check out the local bye-laws section on the EA website.

Welcome to AN by the way.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

HI Carl,

I approached the EA with a very similar question, although I've been looking at fishing from a Kayak.

Their reply was that I am free to fish anywhere on any part of any river just as long as I have a Fishing licence.

You will not have to pay any club for fishing, as long as you do not fish from the bank. Clubs own the rights to fish from the banks of the water ie a section of water frontage, but do not own the river itself which remains property of and under the protection of the EA.

Of course, with so much river system to explore, it would seem prudent and good manners to fish an area not being fished by club members at that moment, thus avoiding intruding on their day out. Also be aware of other river users and return all fish in tip top condition.

Have a look on ebay for boats, punts etc......loads there!

Frags

Carl hi and welcome to Anglers Net ,Boat fished rivers for years and the rights can be a bit of a grey area as one EA guy will tell you one thing and someone else another ,If a club controls one bank then as i understand it they own the rights to the middle of the river and you could fish the far bank side .

I am always prepared to buy a ticket if required but you seldom see that many fishing the river and as long as you don't pitch up right in front of guys fishing off the bank you shouldn't be bothered,Private backwaters are another area of contention and i usually ask them for proof ie copy of there deeds to show they have the riparian fishing rights and if so happily move but in my experience many claim to but in reality dont,At least not to the whole backwater as they are often surrounded by severall propertys,Like i say a bit of a minefield but with a bit of common sense you should not be bothered.

If intending to anchor up in the main river then be prepared to be washed around once the bigger boats start moving so its an early morning/evening type thing.

If you are after Barbel then the tail end of the weir pools is the place to be but be warned the noise off a weir can be very tiring if fishing there for a long period,make sure that the anchors are big enough to hold the size of boat and don't fish to close to the weir sill as the backwash will suck the boat towards it,never pull up the anchors before starting the engine for the same reason.

Buy a life jacket and if intending to winter fish then make it a 275 newton one ,Length of heavy chain before the anchor helps it hold without having to use one that looks like it belongs on the Titanic :lol: .

Regarding a boat e bay is good as has been mentioned but this is a good site to http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/php/welcome.php3

or here http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/listings.phtml?cid=8 also the local free adds type paper ,You have to think about weight re car roof racks and getting it on and off as they ain't the easiest things to pick up due to shape esp if you are on your own ,also if car topping make sure the slip way does not have a height restriction type bar otherwise it could end in disaster.

You will need to register the craft with the controlling body for the river either the EA or British waterways or you can get a gold licence to cover both and insurance is a good idea to just do a search for boat insurance ,One tip if there are 2 of you in the boat and its a rowing boat your mate hooks a monster !! don't lean over the side to look as he lands it or you will get wet!!!! hope this helps Steve.

Ps i have one of these and this is well worth a look depending on your budget

http://www.totalcoarsefishing.com/cgi-bin/...?num=1237461543

Wrong time of year to look really as everything is cheaper in the winter a bit like soft top cars but if you keep your eyes skinned you may well find a bargain with the credit crunch begining to bite.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

If a club controls one bank then as i understand it they own the rights to the middle of the river and you could fish the far bank side .

But what if they control both banks? :rolleyes:

Steves right its an area that neither the EA or the Police seem to have a clear line on.If you aproach any club that has fishing rights along a stretch they allways tell you that you need to hold their licence...........but they would wouldnt they? I was once challenged by a club baillif and when I pointef out that I believed him to be wrong (after some prior research) he simply called the local copper who instantly took his side and was really quite OTT with me.His attitude stank despite me being polite and non confrontational.Ive since heard that the issue on this stretch has even been taken to courts but neither the club or the EA or the Police have changed their veiws! (incidently both the EA and Police veiw vary from person to person! :wallbash:

Going to (try) to get something in writing from the EA this year.......................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Quote Budgie Going to (try) to get something in writing from the EA this year.......................

--------------------

Dont hold your breath Budgie but hope you can get some clarification as some is sorely needed , Had the old bill called years ago whilst fishing a backwater with the boat moored to a guys garden front who allowed us to fish there and had fishing rights off the end of his property when the guy from the property opposite who also had the same rights went into one and wouldnt listen to a word we said so we returned the favour and just went deaf ,He went mental spitting and swearing and looking just like John Cleese thrashing the car with a stick when it wouldnt start :bigemo_harabe_net-163: ,They dutifully turned up and after checking our rod and boat licences and permission to fish off the first guys garden politely told mr grumpy to get a life .

EA boat then appeared and said private backwaters were nowt to do with them and at this point he really lost it and threw all his toys out of the pram wish i had videod it, If i have chanced my arm somewhere and am asked to leave with proof of there rights then i always do but this guy was the funniest thing i have ever seen and thought he was going to keel over and a crash team shouting charging 360 clear would be needed .

Carl boat fishing the rivers is great fun and if using a boat to bait up you can choose and area where bank access is non existant so giving you a great edge ,One of these is great for fish spotting or better still to see if your pre baiting is being eaten and therefore worth continuing in that spot http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/fishing-at-...pe1259959.bhtml Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Hello everybody. Many thanks to all the replys JV44, BUDGIE, GRUMPYBUM, KEN L & FRAGS sorry if i missed anybody. Especially Steve JV44, that mail must have taken you ages, extremely helpfull :thumbs: mate. Well Im a lot wiser now and I will definetly be looking at the sites suggested. I just want to fish places on the rivers which are not accessible for barbel chub and the likes. So many thanks to you all. I cant wait until June 16th. All the best Carl. :clap:

just want to fish places on the rivers which are not accessible for barbel chub and the likes. So many thanks to you all.

Carl that is boat fishing in a nutshell and its very addictive ,enjoy it and let us know how you get on Steve.