Anchoring in tide near concrete

Glasgowdan

Just wonder what opinions people have here. I have a mark in mind that can be fished from a kayak. It is in a bit of tide, around 2 knots, and is approx 30ft deep onto a sandy bottom. The fishing I am planning is basically under a large failing concrete structure, so you'd be anchored a few yards uptide of it. How do experienced kayakers feel about this? Would they do it?

Danger would be if the anchor slipped and you got wedged against the concrete before you had the chance to paddle to safety. It might be possible to escape under the structure and out the other side if the tide was low, but there would still be the matter of the dragging anchor to deal with first. Would holding yourself against a concrete leg in a 2 knot tide be an issue?

It's difficult to answer without knowing the place but I feel that if you have to question whether it's a good idea to fish there then it's probably not. Bear in mind that you will have confused water there too most probably as the water will rebound from the structure.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Just wonder what opinions people have here. I have a mark in mind that can be fished from a kayak. It is in a bit of tide, around 2 knots, and is approx 30ft deep onto a sandy bottom. The fishing I am planning is basically under a large failing concrete structure, so you'd be anchored a few yards uptide of it. How do experienced kayakers feel about this? Would they do it?

Danger would be if the anchor slipped and you got wedged against the concrete before you had the chance to paddle to safety. It might be possible to escape under the structure and out the other side if the tide was low, but there would still be the matter of the dragging anchor to deal with first. Would holding yourself against a concrete leg in a 2 knot tide be an issue?

if you are thinking of just siting behind a pillar you can attach one side of a rope to the kayak go around the post and you control the distance from the pillar depending on the rip and you just let one end go and your away if you attach the kayak to the post you could get in some sh''t NOT GOOD & you can juge the distance as well. just keep safe that's the main thing happy fishing i hope that will help you Dai

I am thinking of fishing uptide of the pillar, as downtide is away from the fish.

I'd anchor well uptide of where you want to fish. You can drift your float, or ledgered bait (use a lighter lead) into the area you want to get to. Use a longer anchor warp which will help hold bottom, it'll also give you more scope for paddling back against the tide. I don't know the area (as Mark says) either, if in doubt don't bother! :)

Malibu 2

Sounds at least worth a try. It's a scottish mark and I wouldn't be fishing floats ;) (whole mackerel on the bottom with a boat rod and reel set to max drag!). Might consider it...got to get a kayak first but this mark would make that worthwhile in itself.

Cheers

Dan

Sounds at least worth a try. It's a scottish mark and I wouldn't be fishing floats ;) (whole mackerel on the bottom with a boat rod and reel set to max drag!). Might consider it...got to get a kayak first but this mark would make that worthwhile in itself.

Cheers

Dan

How about using two anchors? I don't know how big the hazardous part of structure is, but if it's not too big then the two anchors could be off to each side of the structure where the water downtide is safe. If either anchor hold fails then you should swing clear of the structure. This arrangement would also allow you to position yourself accurately left and right by adjusting the length of the anchor lines.

I have to add that I'm a complete novice and I've not tried this myself, but it makes sense in theory.

Whole mackerel? What are you after?

Cheers

Roly

How about using two anchors? I don't know how big the hazardous part of structure is, but if it's not too big then the two anchors could be off to each side of the structure where the water downtide is safe. If either anchor hold fails then you should swing clear of the structure. This arrangement would also allow you to position yourself accurately left and right by adjusting the length of the anchor lines.

I have to add that I'm a complete novice and I've not tried this myself, but it makes sense in theory.

Whole mackerel? What are you after?

Cheers

Roly

Hi Roly,

The fact that he's asking the question, makes me think that he hasn't got lots of experience himself. Carrying 2 anchors with their associated reels and deploying them (bearing in mind most yaks only have one clam cleat fitted to secure the warp) doesn't sound like a great idea.

I think he's after conger! :D:D

Malibu 2

Hi Roly,

The fact that he's asking the question, makes me think that he hasn't got lots of experience himself. Carrying 2 anchors with their associated reels and deploying them (bearing in mind most yaks only have one clam cleat fitted to secure the warp) doesn't sound like a great idea.

I think he's after conger! :D:D

The two anchor technique is well established for small boat fishing, primarily because it keeps the boat in a very precise position over the mark, irrespective of variations in wind and tide. I would have thought it will work very well for kayaks too if you have space to carry two anchors, chains, reels, etc. You can add another cleat if you need it.

The "but" is whether you want to try it near a dangerous structure with a big conger on! Personally I wouldn't, but to quote (or misquote) Robert Redford "It's all right to take a chance if you're the only one who pays".

Roly