Bivvie lighting - what do you use?

RUDD

What products etc does everyone use for lighting at night in your bivvie?

I always have a micro mag light torch (the very small one with a tiny battery), a mini mag light torch (takes two AA batteries), a petzel headtorch and a full size coleman torch.

I have toyed with the idea of a candle in a jar (with a small amount of water in the bottom) on a piece of flat wood (incase glass gets hot).

Not sure if this is a safe idea or if a candle will throw off much light.

I remember seeing a lamp that takes a candle and is supposed to be safe but can I find it anywhere?

If I cant find one I may have to invest in a battery recharger and a load of rechargeable AA batteries.

I have seen some LED lighting for bivvies but they dont come cheap!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Mini Maglite and a Petzl LED headtorch

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

White plastic dome like light, the type you touch (firmly) to turn on. Takes 4 x AAA batteries and is designed to hang under shleving or in corners of dark cupboards where no electricity. Mine sits nicely on my bivvy table and just needs a gentle tap on top to turn on and off. It's just bright enough to read by but need my Petzl head lamp for re baiting and fiddley stuff. Reckon with a bit of inginuity can velcro to roof of bivvy to centralise light output but may weaken too much to read by.

I've seen them in DIY outlets for £4.99 but got mine from Morrisons for 99p, bargain or what!!!

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

RUDD:

What products etc does everyone use for lighting at night in your bivvie?

I always have a micro mag light torch (the very small one with a tiny battery), a mini mag light torch (takes two AA batteries), a petzel headtorch and a full size coleman torch.

I have toyed with the idea of a candle in a jar (with a small amount of water in the bottom) on a piece of flat wood (incase glass gets hot).

Not sure if this is a safe idea or if a candle will throw off much light.

I remember seeing a lamp that takes a candle and is supposed to be safe but can I find it anywhere?

If I cant find one I may have to invest in a battery recharger and a load of rechargeable AA batteries.

I have seen some LED lighting for bivvies but they dont come cheap!

Dont even go there with the candle idea!!! I sometimes burn a citronella candle OUTSIDE my bivvy on warm nights to try and keep the mossies away, but please DO NOT use inside!!!

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

[/qb]

Dont even go there with the candle idea!!! I sometimes burn a citronella candle OUTSIDE my bivvy on warm nights to try and keep the mossies away, but please DO NOT use inside!!! [/QB]

Polly

I was not going to put candle inside the bivvie (actually a jrc stealth brolly and most of the time will not be used with zip on front except very bad weather), I was thinking of having it just outside the door (hence the reason for having it inside a glass jar to stop the wind blowing it out).

Any type of naked flame including cooking equipment used inside a nylon/plastic bivvie/tent alonside items such as sleeping bags is PURE MADNESS, Even when used in the doorway.

I have used citronella candles in the past but they dont beat Deet based products.

I was thinking of having a candle in a jar burning all night so if I do get a run I will at least have a small amount of ambient light so I am not in total darkness fumbling about (oh er missis).

For reading I use the micro or mini mag.

Candles are cheap compared to batteries so cost would be minimal.

Also I dont think a candle will throw off to much light that may spook fish.

Just wish I could remeber where I saw the candle lamp (its like a tilley lamp but you put a candle in it).

I do like your method of a cheap push light.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I've got a tiny little green LED keyring light and a small green LED torch that do me really well. I also take a white light headlamp and a back-up torch.

The ones I've got were reviewed by Julian once:

http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/pal01.htm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I use a petzl headtorch, a pop up lantern (battery powered) that came free from a petrol station which has a handy clip so it hangs up in my bivvy (BRILLIANT!), and a keyring LED if I need a light quickly, also a 500,000 candle light torch if have lost something.

My mate takes 1 of those remote controlled lanterns

Dan

RUDD:

Just wish I could remeber where I saw the candle lamp (its like a tilley lamp but you put a candle in it).

I have one of these. $16 and works well. Windproof.

candle-lantern3.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I used to fish a swim where someone had left a breeze block. This was ideal for bringing inside the storm flaps and holding a tea light, pushed well inside. It was absolutely safe and the glow from the light could barely be seen outside the bivvy. Nash breeze blocks are on sale in selected tackle shops - price £15.99

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.