Too BIG!!!!

Polly

Currently using Hutchie 20mm boilies (Scopex & Mullberry)in a lake that holds a few 20s and only ONE known 30. Not sure what the reckoned headcount for doubles is. Anyhow, my concern is I've done two overnight sessions without even a "bleep" let alone a take and was wondering if I should go to a smaller boilie with a smaller hook??????

I've made my own rigs with slightly longer hair for the 20mm baits and I'm fairly confident with my end gear as I caught fish at another lake (which is full of 10-15lbs fish) using same rigs but with 10mm Scopex baits. The only change is the size of the boilie (oh, and the lake!!!!)so do I move away from the large 20mm baits, will it enhance my chances of a run or should I stick it out and wait for the fish to start 'aving them. I have enough to mount a mini baiting campaign and always bait up my swims before, during and AFTER fishing. Will fish of this size eventually move onto my baits or are they simply too big????

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polly

I use 21mm halibut pellets and they are BIG.

I use them in an attempt not to attract Tench, bream or barbel.

But I still catch them but not so many.

A carp can eat a bait that big no problem.

I have caught carp from 4lb to 20lb on 21mm baits.

If you go down in bait size you may start cathcing other species.

It could be that other anglers are all putting in loads of a smaller size boilie but I would say this is to your advantage as you are being different.

Could just be the fish were not in your spot.

As for hair size its down to preferance.

Sometimes I fish with the turn or even the shank of the hook touching the bait at other times I have up to 15mm between bait and hook.

If I were you I would try to establish the patrol routes and favorite feeding spots of the fish and put in you 20mm baits in these places.

Then fish these spots and keep trying changes until something works.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

IMHO, id say that bait size is not a big deal, bait choice may be hindering you mind.

I find that i have better results when using boilies if i wrap them in a paste (stiff if overnight) and use a pva bag full of boilie crumb/boilie peices.

the pva bag not only acts as an attractant, but also covers the hookbait with food, so the carp really cant tell if they are picking up a freeby or the h/bait.

have you tried using 2 different baits on different rods?

how deep/large is the venue? it may be due to them not actually finding it if its a large lake!

it could also be a question of feeding depth or maybe preoccupation with spawning at this time of year.

hope this theorising helps.

chris

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

I pesonally dont go above a 15mm boilie, If i feel a bigger bait is required due to nuisance fish, i would often double up the bait or half it and place back to back (2 tone caught on a single grain of maize at 61lb)... so I dont agree with the theory that bigger baits = bigger fish. I think at the end of the day its a confidence thing of what you have caught on in the past etc...

Common 40:

(2 tone caught on a single grain of maize at 61lb)... so I dont agree with the theory that bigger baits = bigger fish.

Ah, but bigger baits = no small fish (the 1lb mirror i had the other day on a size 6 mugga and a 20mm boilie is the exception!)

i usually aim to fish for all sorts, and fish one rod with a general bait (meat, corn) and one rod with my big stuff on (20mm boilies, big chunks of meat etc), i love bending my rods as often as poss so i dont really mind what size they are.

especially as its the equivalent of me trying to get a watermelon in my gob! :D:D

i have recently been experimenting with baits as big as 40 mm and still catching all sizes of fish although it does seem to be producing some of the lakes bigger residents dont worry about the size of bait the fish will come.

I go for 14mm boilies for just about any carp fishing - never had a tench take one to date... They then can be doubled if necessary....

Flavours can be odd though with boilies - certainly some seem to fish better at some waters than others. Experimentation (or patience if you keep trying one flavour) usually pays off.

Ian W