Weekend's catch anyone??

dazler

To get the ball rolling!

Today the weather has been loverly :confused: Only in the uk can u whitness all 4 seasons in a day, Oh and hurricane force winds :(

But with the grace of Him upstairs 10 fish where slid into the net!!! 1x 3 1/2lb- 8x 8-9lb er's ( Well two of them where a bit smaller but :D:D

And a supa low double Common at 8-35pm tonight to finish on a high

Let's have those catch report's lad's and lasses. :)

I'm just back from the most satisfying carping session I've ever had.

Things didn't look too hopeful at first, what with the changeable weather and strong north-easterly winds, but I stuck to my game plan, as did my mate, Tony.

We were fishing a no-publicity venue in the Colne valley and had been baiting our spots for a couple of weeks. When we arrived at the lake, Tony had some serious fish over his baited areas, and I had sod-all. Great. :rolleyes:

Sure enough, within an hour, Tony had a 33.6 on the bank, fish boshing all over the place and seemingly the box seat to a mega session.

That night, though, things turned in my favour and I landed a 26, a 22, a 28 and a superb 32, while Tony had a 26 and lost another good fish at the net.

Next day I lost a biggee, then landed a scrappy 24. At about 6.30 pm, a screamer of a take connected me with a plodding monster which stayed deep until it was virtually under the rod tip. As it broke the surface, I could see it was a 35-plus fish, perhaps bigger.

Fully 15 minutes of drag-screeching, flat-rodding chaos ensued before that mad fish was having anything to do with the landing net. This is the best fight I've ever had from a carp and time after time it gyrated and powered off toward a margin snag. Finally, Tony slid the net under it and we eventually shook hands on a weight of 38.6 of mirror.

So, we had 9 fish between us, three of them 30s, with that tremendous 38 to top off a glorious trip. I'll sort out the photos for Elton later - too tired at the moment - and perhaps put up a few more details about bait, rigs and stuff if anyone's interested. For now, it's bath, kip, dinner - and tons of reflective smiling. :D

All the best.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

quote:

Norfolkdan

I had 6 carp to 7lb, and my mate had 9 carp to 6.5lb. All small, but great fun

--------------------

Dan

I couldnt agree more Dan size is not a factor :D:D

Wordbender :cool:

I bow my head in difference sir :)

Any chance of an invite mate?? :D:D What a sesh Well done Terry :)

Me and my mate went to a place called ash ponds for a couple of nights. Beautiful weather, i had 3 low doubles, a 20 and a 25. He had a 12, two 16s, two 17s, and an 18. Fabulous trip and i beat my pb!!! excellent! :)

Ethan

Norfolkdan:

Terry, I guess you were fishing somehwhere other than in the UK?

No mate, I was a stone's throw from Wraysbury, actually. It IS a special water, though, and it doesn't usually give up its prizes in bunches, either. I once blanked from October to June, fishing alternate weekends, on this venue.

Sometimes, if you get it right and the carp gods don't want to torment you, the rewards are there for the taking.

For the record, I stuck to my good old short stiff rigs - 15lb. ESP filament loop-knotted to a Gardner quick-change swivel, with a 'doctored', size 6 Incisor - and single 24mm Heathrow Bait Services Red Indian bottom baits that have been soaking in HBS dip for at least 3 months!

This soaking makes the hookbaits so hard that I have to drill them with a Dremel :ook: but there's no way those pesky coots can chop 'em up. I've tried using braid for the hair on these rigs but they really do seem to work best with the filament straight through and the boilie standing off from the hook by a good inch or more.

I'd recommend this rig in any situation where the fish are big and the bottom is hard and not too weedy. As an 'extra' and to keep the hookpoint clean, I wrap the boilie and hook in a big blob of fast-breakdown paste, or a pva bag if I want to get it back out a bit quick. I prefer the paste, though, because the fish aren't used to seeing it - yet!

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and here's to the next one.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.