Leadcore

MikeyP

Personaly I have always used and had great confidence in the Korda sinking rig tube,it holds the bottom well. For extra confidence that it is laying right i always put a bit of rig putty towards the top.

Never realy been able to understand what the fuss is with leadcore :confused: but several waters ban its use.Not ever used the sinking tubing but there are several makes.Before we used leadcore we used fast sinking (Hi-D) fly line as a sinking anti tangle device and before that a simple split shot pinched on the rear end of the rig tube.All worked just as good!

[ 07. February 2005, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

ESP have a product called anchor rig tube, it is basically your average rig tubing but impregnated with tungston. It is claimed to be heavier than leadcore. I have some, but although I can confirm it is heavy stuff, it is quite stiff and not as easy to straighten as normal tubing.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Budgie (and anyone else interested :D ), the way most rigs using leadcore are constructed means that in the event of a breakeage of the main line (by any means) then a hooked fish is left towing a length of leadcore, even if the lead weight comes adrift the fish fish still trails leadcore.

I have seen two tench struggling with the stuff before being rescued, and it is not a pretty sight.

I would class such rigs as DEATH RIGS.

Rigs using rig tube (and no leader) are safe as the broken line will pull thro, and they are just as effective, indeed my most successful rig ever incorporated 3feet of PVC rig tube with bits of lead wire wrapped at 12inch intervals.

If anyone uses a safe leadcore setup, I would be interested in seeing it, so I can pass it on,

Den

[ 07. February 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den my argument is that anything not used correctly is unsafe!Unfair to treat everyone as idiots but sadly the only way to avoid problems.

I would have loved to show a "safe" leadcore rig but the simple answer is their isnt one that overcomes the problem you describe so clearly and it is obviously for that reason it is banned.The same should go for Hi-D line leaders as well then because they are attached the same way.Or for that matter long casting/snag leaders or any line realy!

Im not doubting your experience here Den just that I dont really understand,I can see how dragging around a fixed lead could cause a problem but why or how does a short length of leadcore? (not that I would really want to see anything being dragged around even the hook link and swivel which many seem to find aceptable)even the longest of leadcore leaders wouldnt weigh a great deal.

Your normal rig tubing with the lead wire sounds a simple but effective way around the problem.Why have I never tried this or similar? Purely because hand on heart Ive never had problems with lead core or the likes! If I had I would have changed.That said people obviousely do,well judging by the number of carp I "catch" whilst piking at some carp waters.

[ 07. February 2005, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Me too Mikey, my new venue for this year does not permit lead core either, I have used the ESP stuff in the past and will go back to it. And then french venue I am going to in October does allow leadcore but does not permit shock leaders.

Surely there must be a consistent view of what is and is not safe in terms of set ups. Confuses me as I never quite sure if I am doing right by the fish whatever the fishery rules allow or do not allow.

It others have mentioned it is the inability of a lot of anglers to use leadcore that makes it dangerous. Leadcore is thicker and tougher than pretty much any other line. Thick mono (leaders) aren't a lot better but they do tend to stay reasonably straight if cracked off etc.

The problem is with people who break off for any reason and leave the leader behind with a rig they may have thought was safe but in reality is only safe when tested in their front room. So the result is a fish towing a leader with a lead on the end.

If I ever had a fishery you can guarantee that all leaders would be banned, because at the end of the day you just can't trust everyone to fish responsibly (IMHO)

Rob.