MY NEW TOY!

Janet

Ooops! I’ve been a bit naughty, once again spending money I didn’t have on something I didn’t need – a new camera!

For a year or so now I’ve been using a cheap Technika digital camera, courtesy of Tesco, but after seeing some of the pictures in the Photography Competition each month, I really got the urge to have a go at something slightly better than the usual boring snapshots...and besides, it was pay day this week!

I only bought it on Thursday, and it has so many settings that I’m still muddling my way through the instruction book. However, I took it for a first outing today and these are some of the results….nothing spectacular, but I’m really pleased with them.

The woods at daybreak…

SS850435.jpg

Man’s best friend (big soft slobbering lump!)

SS850546.jpg

Is Spring finally here?

SS850519.jpg

Don’t ask me why I took this! I just happened to like it!

SS850529.jpg

Who says you can’t say BOO to a goose?

SS850505.jpg

I had a maggot escape last week….

SS850292.jpg

It may be a weed, but isn’t it pretty?

SS850239.jpg

Can any of you photographers point me in the direction of a good book on digital photography, or a website where I can learn the basics? I’m loving learning about it, but I really think I should by shares in Duracell!

Janet

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Janet.

I'm still trying to get used to the one I got for Christmas, I'm used to a 'point and shoot' type.

On the subject of batteries, I suggest some that Leon recommended, and several on here now use.

They are 'Uniross Hybrio', a brilliant rechargeable battery that holds it charge much longer than any I've seen before.

They come fully charged, and it's ages before you have to recharge them again, (depending on use of course).

Here's the 'blurb' that goes with them.

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/hybrio.htm

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

John.

This IS a point and shoot camera - well, that's what I've been lead to believe anyway....! So far all I've learned to do with it is mainly point and shoot ...! I'm not very good at technical, but I know this camera has features that I should learn to use. I'm slowly learning to cope with the macro settings, which really is something I'm interested in.

Thanks for the link about batteries....I've spent a fortune this week and I've only had the camera since Thursday...however, I have rather hammered it!

I took over two hundred pics today on our fishing trip....used three packs of Duracells..got about twenty useable pictures...I'm happy!

Janet

Mine's a programmable 'point and shoot' too Janet.

I can leave it on auto and away I go, but by trying different shutter speeds, aperture settings, and 'film' speeds, I've been able to improve some of my shots. The problem is, actually knowing what is best for a given situation. I suppose that will come with practice. (I hope so anyway ;) ).

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Janet, i had this reckommended to me when i had the point and shoot.

Digital Photography Field Guide, by Cynthia L. Baron and Daniel Peck. Peachpit press.

You need to reset the date on your camera. its showing 2015.

you can download Opanda Exif free from the net and that way you can check your settings if you get a pic your really happy with but forgot what settings you used.

welcome to the ranks of wannabee photographers.

I have had help willingly given by photographers on Focal Planet.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Janet the pics I see on my screen have a strong green/yellow cast, suspect your White Balance is not set to Auto? Worth checking, do all your pics have a green cast? Cant check this end with Exif, you probably saved with just 'Save'? If you use 'Save as' in the same menu, this will keep Exif details attached and we can check and help.

Any one else see this?

SW

Janet the pics I see on my screen have a strong green/yellow cast, suspect your White Balance is not set to Auto? Worth checking, do all your pics have a green cast? Cant check this end with Exif, you probably saved with just 'Save'? If you use 'Save as' in the same menu, this will keep Exif details attached and we can check and help.

Any one else see this?

SW

Now you mention it, there does seem to be a yellow/green cast on all the images.

Rob.

SW,

When I used it for the first time on Saturday, I too noticed that all the greens were very "green", as you have pointed out. I've since looked at some reviews on t'Internet and noticed that other people have the same problem with it, with colours being very saturated (see, I'm even learning the correct terms!)

Most of my pictures were taken using the Automatic setting, apart from the close-ups. Apart from cropping some of the pictures, I haven't edited them at all. I'm guessing I need to buy a decent photo editing programme?

I'm not quite sure what the Exif thingie is, but I'll find out! All the pictures were simply copied from the camera to the PC and then uploaded to Photobucket.

I forsee another day when no houswwork gets done....

Thanks Clifftop, I've managed to change the time and date settings! Will go and check out Focal Planet.

Janet