Sweaty Maggots

Guest Chris Perch

Guest Chris Perch

Hi folks, I have bought some maggots this morning and as its been quite warm today they have got a bit sweaty I have just put in some fine cornflour to dry them a little.

What is the best way to treat them and what do you put in with them to keep them dry?

Chris.

Try and keep lid off all the time you can and leave them in a bigger container to allow more room and air to get at them.

Always take lid off when putting in fridge but make sure they are not too sweaty otherwise they will escape the box.

regards

John

Guest tigger

Split them up into containers so there in thin'ish layers and a bit of maize, stick them in a fridge with the lids left off. They'll probably last 6 to 8 wks like that at least ! Even after you use them stick em back in the fridge again.

Oh......set the fridge at about number two n' a half or even three.

I don't like maize. It might not be fashionable nowadays but I still prefer coarse sawdust. It blows away when you catapult them in anyway, so I don't even bother riddling it off.

With sawdust they don't sweat anywhere near as badly, so much so that you have to add a bit of water now and again to cool them off.

Edited by ColinW

Split them up into containers so there in thin'ish layers and a bit of maize, stick them in a fridge with the lids left off. They'll probably last 6 to 8 wks like that at least ! Even after you use them stick em back in the fridge again.

Oh......set the fridge at about number two n' a half or even three.

As a retailer of maggots, I am intrigued by the idea of being able to make them last 6 to 8 weeks. Thankfully during the busy season, my maggots never need to last much longer than a couple of days because I sell so many and have a great maggot supplier who delivers 3 times a week. However, as a bit of an experiment, I will put aside a pint and see how long I can keep them in a useable condition.

My preference would be to use bran to help absorb any moisture and like other advice, keep then spread as thin as possible as it's the friction caused by movement that causes them to generate incredible heat and subsequently sweat.

Maize flour is generally used to to clean maggots when they first arrive from the farm. As an aside, maize flour is also a wonderful groundbait that creates a fish attracting cloud in the water without being of any nutritional value.

Well that's my two pence worth, I'm sure everyone has their own favourite way of keeping them...

Arkie

I can`t see many people returning for maggots if there over a week old never mind 6-8 weeks,they`ll shrink and toughen up.

I add maize flour riddle them off and repeat as neccessary.

I keep maggots for up to a year sometimes.

Thats because any leftovers after the weekend go in freezer bags and get frozen. A great additive to your groundbait that will not break up any balls you make to catapult.

I actually buy more maggots now as I do not have the worry of wasting them.

regards

John

Guest tigger
I can`t see many people returning for maggots if there over a week old never mind 6-8 weeks,they`ll shrink and toughen up.

I don't sell maggots so don't have people returning to buy them :rolleyes: I have kept maggots in the fridge during winter for 8 wks and then used them and they've been spot on and I've actually had some good session with them. They may have been a bit harder/tougher skinned but still caught fish ok. I reckon they'll last at least a fortnight in the summer no prob's if kept in the fridge.