So, is everyone on holiday . . . ?

Sutton Warrior

I have no wish to be unpleasant, nasty, difficult . . . however, what has happened to the entrants to the 'AN' photo competition. For last month and this month I have count 9 names in total so far? Going back to January 09, there were 21 votes in total on the old system, one vote, one member and in previous months to that I seem to recall even more votes on the same old system, recall one month in 08 the winning picture received 20+ votes alone?? I think thats right, I'm sure someone will jump on me if its wrong :lol:

The reason I mention the old system, votes = members voting, there seemed to be lots more entries back when, as well. 16 entries for march = only 7 names . . . :o

So what going on, why? Steve, has worked hard to deliver what was wanted?? so where is the support . . .

Its also very obvious that the photographic site is very under used as a 'discussion medium', 'how to', 'review a product' . . . try to get things going and; . . . :wallbash: . . . . well, perhaps best left?

I pose the questions, don't have the answers, hopping 'members' might? :huh: Or, is it me, am I confused and simply got it wrong :unsure:

Answers please . . . ?

SW

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its also very obvious that the photographic site is very under used as a 'discussion medium', 'how to', 'review a product' . . . try to get things going and; . . . :wallbash: . . . . well, perhaps best left?

Definitely NOT best left, not now I've got myself a new camera! :camera:

However, I've just tried searching for the competition for this month, and I just can't find it! Nor can I find the link to the site to look at the pictures currently posted...

I'm sure it's there somewhere, as I know I've voted on the last few, but tonight I just can't find the damn thing....

The link to it really needs to be pinned so that it doesn't go AWOL!

Janet

Definitely NOT best left, not now I've got myself a new camera! :camera:

However, I've just tried searching for the competition for this month, and I just can't find it! Nor can I find the link to the site to look at the pictures currently posted...

I'm sure it's there somewhere, as I know I've voted on the last few, but tonight I just can't find the damn thing....

The link to it really needs to be pinned so that it doesn't go AWOL!

Janet

Here you go Janet, this is my link I use in my 'Favourites' to cut through the rather converluted way to get to the comp page . . . you know what you may have hit on a reason why the competition is not so well supported. There is no direct link, you have to go through Steve's explanation pages and use the link on one of them!!! Unless there is another way I don't know?

http://www.photocumbria.com/gall/thumbnail...at=0&page=1

You are right there is no pinned link refering directly to 'competition entries'?

Don't explain the poor use in other more general use and chat?

By the way, 'the best left' comment, was to do with some 'sniping type remarks, with a bit of reaction from myself', all are best left to die naturally. No we, certainly don't want to let the side down . . . do we :D

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

You are right there is no pinned link?

Well, there should be! As I hadn't saved the link, it took me an age to find it tonight, and that was more by luck than good judgement!

I have always followed the monthly competitions, and stand in awe of some of the contributors. I think I've voted on every one since I joined, except the last, simply because I forgot it was there....

Like many others, I lead a busy life and don't always remember things unless they are staring me in the face!

Perhaps some kind Mod would like to pin it?

Janet

Well, there should be! As I hadn't saved the link, it took me an age to find it tonight, and that was more by luck than good judgement!

I have always followed the monthly competitions, and stand in awe of some of the contributors. I think I've voted on every one since I joined, except the last, simply because I forgot it was there....

Like many others, I lead a busy life and don't always remember things unless they are staring me in the face!

Janet

You have a good point there Janet. I used to look in and vote and even enter quite regularly, but now I have to follow a link etc, I don't seem to bother.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Janet

Problem Janet, 'its all a bit of fun' . . . trouble is, even fun comps., get serious to those that follow and enter. The lack of entries and therefore perceived interest? . . . sort of take the edge off don't it? Its a slippery slope . . . :huh: I do think 'why bother' sometimes <_< Not being able to see how the vote is going, takes the edge off for me, like watching a football match without seeing the goals or cricket with no runs, even the Euro-vision song contest without the points board . . . :headhurt: , but thats a personal view of course.

Perhaps your comment on pinning 'AN Photo Competition' will be seen? :D

SW

You have a good point there Janet. I used to look in and vote and even enter quite regularly, but now I have to follow a link etc, I don't seem to bother.

Den

Yep Den, I think Janet has a point to. Put my link in your 'Favorites' column, I keep an eye out regularly, one click!

SW

Thinking about this i think part of the problem is that when the comp was on here members who were

browsing the forum had it in front of them and now they have to go elsewhere and log in to do it.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Thinking about this i think part of the problem is that when the comp was on here members who were

browsing the forum had it in front of them and now they have to go elsewhere and log in to do it.

Cheers Fred

You are right Fred, it was also initiated as a new heading each month, the words 'Fresh topic' come to mind?

We could do with some fresh topics in general terms, thats the other part of this thread, loosing the 'chat/how to/I've been . . . ' side of the forum?

SW