So, is everyone on holiday . . . ?

Sutton Warrior

I agree with the above comments re-the off board comp. I dont mean to appear ungrateful of Steve's efforts but yea, it just seems that its not right here, its not fresh, I cant see right in front of my that someone just added something. BUT, who am I to talk. I havent entered the comp since it changed. The main reason being that I work on all of my shots in Photoshop and that just isnt allowed. I've always like to post process but lately I totally love it. The other reason is laziness I guess, as I mentioned, the comp seem like its somewhere else and I often just dont get around to it.

BUT, its not just the comp. The whole Photo section is just about dead. No-one seem to want to comment on anything (I'm guilty here too). I upload what I think are some of my best shots and while I can guarantee a comment from Snatcher :D , thats just about all I'll get. Chippy uploaded some great sea scapes some time ago and got what! One maybe two comments. I spend a heap of time on Flickr these days and find that its so much more rewarding. I get to see a heap of new work everyday (sometime to much) and I get a heap of feedback too.

I dont have the answer, I'm as lazy as the next man here. I just think it would be a shame to lose this section altogether.

Mick.

PS. Good on ya SW for bringing this up.

rb_getcreative.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Photo section is just about dead. No-one seem to want to comment on anything (I'm guilty here too). I upload what I think are some of my best shots and while I can guarantee a comment from Snatcher, thats just about all I'll get.

I've always read most of the posts in the Photo section, even though I know bugger all about photography. Some of the pictures have been outstanding, but apart from the odd time when I've made a simple comment, I really don't know enough about the subject yet to make any constructive criticism. I'm one of those people who know a good picture when I see one, but can't for the life of me figure out exactly what it is that makes it stand out from the rest. Mick, I think most of your pictures are absolutely stunning!

I've just bought a new camera with the intention of taking photographs rather than snapshots. I hope the guys on the Photo section will be forthcoming with their comments! I've already had some invaluable help and advice on getting to grips with my new camera. I know I could join some photography forum, but to be honest I like the guys on here - I've looked at one or two other forums, but they all seem rather too precious, if you know what I mean.

At the moment I'm positively bursting with questions - I hope you guys will be able to provide some answers!

The Photo Forum isn't dead....it's just a bit tired! Let's give it a kick up the backside and get it moving again, eh?

Janet

The Photo Forum isn't dead....it's just a bit tired! Let's give it a kick up the backside and get it moving again, eh?

Janet

I'm all for that Janet. But I'm more of a follower than a leader. :D

rb_getcreative.gif

Well I'll certainly keep it going with all the silly questions I have!

I've just managed to figure out how to resize pictures (woo hooo....Janet does technical!) and submitted one for the monthly competition. It's nowhere near the standard of the others, but I have to start somewhere!

Has anyone contacted the Mods to see about getting the competition pinned?

Janet

I've always read most of the posts in the Photo section, even though I know bugger all about photography. Some of the pictures have been outstanding, but apart from the odd time when I've made a simple comment, I really don't know enough about the subject yet to make any constructive criticism. I'm one of those people who know a good picture when I see one, but can't for the life of me figure out exactly what it is that makes it stand out from the rest. Mick, I think most of your pictures are absolutely stunning!

I've just bought a new camera with the intention of taking photographs rather than snapshots. I hope the guys on the Photo section will be forthcoming with their comments! I've already had some invaluable help and advice on getting to grips with my new camera. I know I could join some photography forum, but to be honest I like the guys on here - I've looked at one or two other forums, but they all seem rather too precious, if you know what I mean.

At the moment I'm positively bursting with questions - I hope you guys will be able to provide some answers!

Janet

Janet you have a way putting your finger on the point; other forums, I agree, can get a bit 'precious' and AN is a bit 'tired'.

You are right HB, snatcher will comment but that is it, sorry I dont comment on your pictures . . . as you say, heavy on PS'ing, I prefer the old fashioned, minimalist, keep it in the camera, 'Box Brownie' style, :P nothing personal mate, I'm just to old to appreciate new styles I suppose. :wheelchair:

I have tried a couple of times to get discussion going, with either little or no response, or, unhelpful comment destroying the effort. At lest this one seems to have jolted a few positive reactions.

Therefore, where do we go from here . . . :g: As far as the competition goes, its the 22nd, there is until next Thursday week 30th before the comp ends. Logging in is no more difficult than doing it on Photobucket, in fact its the same process as signing in on AN and then doing a Photobucket upload, choose the comp month, and give the picture a title. Provided you saved the original 800px 'save as', you don't even have to ad Exif details, is automatic, and you can ad more than one at a time, so its easier than the old upload system.

We have got the time, do us all a favour, give a vote of confidence, take a picture, and put it in the comp. No best 6, no single judge, so we all have a chance to see, evaluate and vote.

This link will take you to the comp page and simple instructions:

http://www.photocumbria.com/gall/index.php

Janet has already done one, well done!!! :thumbs: Come on guys and gals more please . . .

SW

Apart from a lot of faffing around tryiing to find out how to resize my picture after several failed attempts at uploading because it was too large, the rest of the process was surprisingly simple (and it needs to be simple for me!) Much easier than saving to Photobucket and then uploading onto the forum!

One slight problem though. The file information isn't there as it is on all the other pictures. Have I missed doing something? I cropped the photo slightly using Digimax Master (the software that came with the camera) and then "saved as".... I'll go and do a search on the forum to see if I've missed something!

Janet

Edited to say: I've PM'd a friendly Mod to ask for the competition to be pinned....

Edited by Janet

One slight problem though. The file information isn't there as it is on all the other pictures. Have I missed doing something? I cropped the photo slightly using Digimax Master (the software that came with the camera) and then "saved as".... I'll go and do a search on the forum to see if I've missed something!

Janet

Edited to say: I've PM'd a friendly Mod to ask for the competition to be pinned....

Yep I noted that. I think when I had to resize (as opposed to just cropping) it loses all the camera / photo information.

Rob.

P.S. I prefered uploading to flickr etc and then linking the image - otherwise you have to do that to post here, and upload images for the comp (and re-size both times)

Apart from a lot of faffing around tryiing to find out how to resize my picture after several failed attempts at uploading because it was too large, the rest of the process was surprisingly simple (and it needs to be simple for me!) Much easier than saving to Photobucket and then uploading onto the forum!

Janet

There it is people, up load to the comp is . . . "Much easier than saving to Photobucket" !!!!

Mmm . . . :g: 'Save as' works in PS and Elements . . . could be the other way round in you program 'save', is there a manual, or an 'on disc manual' more likely?

Questions and Answers: (how to) 'save exif information'?

SW

There it is people, up load to the comp is . . . "Much easier than saving to Photobucket" !!!!

Well, it is! If I want to post a photo on this forum, I need to upload it from my camera to the PC, then to Photobucket, then open a message on here, copy and paste the link from Photobucket and then preview it to make sure I haven't stuffed it up somewhere along the line, as is frequently the case! Nine times out of ten I find that the picture I wanted to post is the one I've forgotten to upload to Photobucket so I have to go and kick seven bells out of the cat and start all over again!

On the Competition Forum I can just browse my own PC for the file...so much easier for a numpty like me! Apart from the problem with the Exif info not being there, it was remarkably painless....

Do you have to have the info for the competition?

Janet