Cumbria Festival of Fishing – three new events

A new evening event has now been scheduled for our (not for profit) festival – a 'Gamefishers’ Evening' with guest speakers, along with two evening fly fishing competitions with prizes and cups at Bessy Beck Trout Fishery, Tebay.

Wed 20th May – A ‘Gamefishers Evening’ in Penrith will involve presentations from Stuart Broadhurst (A Fly for All Seasons), Jeremy Lucas (Eden vs. the Best of Europe – does our local river cut it among Europe’s finest river fisheries?’) and Ally Gowans ‘A salmon fly fishers year’. Q&A session to follow. 7-9pm. Admission £3 on the door. And there's a bar!

Venue - George Hotel - Penrith (in town centre) Devonshire St, Penrith. http://www.lakedistricthotels.net/georgehotel/directions.htm

Monday 18th May evening dry fly only competition – Bessy Beck from 5.00pm-9.00pm

Friday 22nd May open fly fishing competition – Bessy Beck from 5.00pm – 9.00pm.

Places are limited, so booking essential. For bookings and details of competition rules, contact the fishery on 015396 23303 or enquiries@bessybecktrout.co.uk

And don’t forget, there’s 10% off MRP of non-sale/special promotion goods at John Norris, Penrith during festival week.

The festival website is at www.gofishinglakedistrict.co.uk

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the info on the Cumbria Fishing Festival.

Can I add to your info that Smoky Jo's are running a series of food smoking courses as part of the Fishing Festival and are offering a 10% discount on both their one day and two day courses.

For more info - http://www.gofishinglakedistrict.co.uk/new...mp;current_id=1

I cannot wait for the week to start as I hope to enjoy some of the events.

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope, despite my rather cynical earlier post about there being enough tourists clogging up the lake district without encouraging more to come, that the weather sorts itself out for this event. The last 2 weeks up here have been awful. The stiff cold wind and freezing showers have kept our hulls dry for the last fortnight, and one would have to be both an enthusuatic optimist and a blody expert to enjoy fishing (especially fly fishing) in it. The end of march was like summer in comparison.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"