PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS

Janet

Good evening guys,

I've been advised that Photoshop Elements is a good, useable and reasonable editing program for me to use.

Having been on the Adobe website to get further details, I see that I can get a free 30 day trial of Elements 7. That should just last me untill next pay day...(I've already spent far too much this month buying the camera!)

However, what I can't find is any details about what happens at the end of the trial. Does it just expire? I (or rather my son!) was caught out with a free trial recently which turned out to be anything but....I do not want to be lumbered again with intrusive demands for payments. The whole business has left me very wary of "free" trials.

Have any of you tried this free trial? If so, I'd love to hear your comments.

Many thanks!

Janet

Hi Janet,

It will expire no con on the adobe site, at the end of the trail they may ask if you wish to purchase that's all.

I use Elements 4 and I like it.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Hi Janet,

It will expire no con on the adobe site, at the end of the trail they may ask if you wish to purchase that's all.

I use Elements 4 and I like it.

I will confirm, I used Elements 4, for a long time and got on very well with it. E'v.5 crashed my computer!!! missed out v6, and now use v7, the change was driven by my wish to try faffing around with RAW . . . for me, RAW has proved a wast of 'time', I'm happy as I am/was :P So, Elements v.4 was a nice simple program, 'to me', did all I want, E'v.7, thats been OK, took a bit of getting my head around. Not that its complicated, but being used to v4, the changes were sometimes a little hard to find and suss out. Like some one clearing my shed and putting every thing in the wrong cupboards, same items but . . . :blink:

Elements v.7 is close enough to CS4, as far as I can see, for the amateur. I see no point in the expense of over £500!!!! rather put the cash towards a new lens. Elements v.7 is on offer at Amazon for £50, and v4 is £40. When I bought v.7 autumn last year, it was 'thirty squid'!!! thats inflation for you? <_<

SW

Well, if you two like it then I'm going to try it! Off to register and download it now.

By the way, I think my camera is full. I've bought some new film today, but where do I put it? ;)

Cheers guys!

Janet

Janet, 'cling film' dont help, wrap it as many times as you like, its not going to work . . . :P

You down loaded that program yet??? . . .

SW

Yup! Downloaded perfectly....just don't understand it!

It's nowhere near as simple and intuitive as Picasa and the program that came with the camera, but I can see it has some great capabilities. The question is, do I?

I've managed to do a bit of basic sharpening and cropping, as well as altering the colour cast etc, and I'm very pleased with the results so far - much better than the free programs I've got - much more controllable - just very confusing!

I've spent most of the evening messing around with it, and I'm sure it's a program I can learn to love! I've been onto the library website and found that they have a couple of "How to" type books on Elements in stock at my local library, so I'm going to go and pick them up in the morning.

I think it's safe to say that no housework will get done this weekend....

Janet

Edited by Janet

Hi Janet,

Glad the download went OK.

I guess you will find lots of reference material at the library, the other source of good tutorials is on YouTube, if you search Elements or photoshop there should be lots to see and they are quick tutorials.

When I first started with post processing, I was given a piece of advice that has stood me in good stead regarding the order of process to go through.

Stages of process.

1. Adjust white balance.

2. Cropping.

3. Cloning out unwanted items or marks.

4. Resizing and framing.

5. Sharpening.

6. Save as.

Of course these are not set in stone and you may not need to do all on every shot, its just a helpful tip for the basic steps to take.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Yup! Downloaded perfectly....just don't understand it!

It's nowhere near as simple and intuitive as Picasa and the program that came with the camera, but I can see it has some great capabilities. The question is, do I?

I've managed to do a bit of basic sharpening and cropping, as well as altering the colour cast etc, and I'm very pleased with the results so far - much better than the free programs I've got - much more controllable - just very confusing!

I've spent most of the evening messing around with it, and I'm sure it's a program I can learn to love! I've been onto the library website and found that they have a couple of "How to" type books on Elements in stock at my local library, so I'm going to go and pick them up in the morning.

I think it's safe to say that no housework will get done this weekend....

Janet

Medwaygreens advise is good Janet, overall, probably all you need to understand. Personally I find the 'White balance' a bit of a red herring with JPG files, (you are using JPG) I believe? it is more relevant to RAW files :huh: . . . you dont want to know!

Levels is, the power tool you need . . . to find:-

. . . top tool bar, mouse over 'Enhance', pop up menu, mouse over 'Adjust Lighting' . . . there it is! Shadow, Brightness and Levels. Click on 'Levels', there is an 'about' button, top right. Remember I said, I 'move/slide' and 'click on' . . . and see what happens . . . you are into the wold of "what does this do" . . . B)

Then there is Sharpen and Unsharp Mask. 'Unsharp' is a sharpening tool . . . !!! <_< despite its title, Sharpen is as it says, bothe usefull, but for now simple 'sharpen' will do. The rest you have sussed.

These are the very, very basics, from here its, have fun . . . always work on a copy for now, normaly you cant mess it up, but just ocasionaly, it can cick back.

Elements is not as simple as the freebies, its suprising how intuitive it gets as you begin to understand the headings and titles, 'knowing how much' when you are in a work space, thats the tricky bit that comes with practise . . . one day I will get there . . . :lol:

SW

OK guys! Now you're having a laugh....

I've just wasted a whole morning playing around with it. What an absolute waste of time! That was time when I could have been doing the washing, ironing, vacuuming or all those other delightful little tasks that seem to expand in proportion to the time allotted to do them.

Instead I've been sitting here like a kiddie in a sweet shop, wondering which item to try next!

Many thanks Medwaygreen and SW for your guidance. At least this morning I had a starting point to work from, and the results are pretty good. I'm slowly workiing my way through the menus and finding out what things are for, and also I've found some good on-line tutorials, so that's tonight's homework taken care of!

It certainly isn't as easy to use as some of the freebie editing programs, but it seems a lot more versatile. I think (once I get the hang of it!) that I'm going to love it.

Janet

OK guys! Now you're having a laugh....

I've just wasted a whole morning playing around with it. What an absolute waste of time! That was time when I could have been doing the washing, ironing, vacuuming or all those other delightful little tasks that seem to expand in proportion to the time allotted to do them.

Instead I've been sitting here like a kiddie in a sweet shop, wondering which item to try next!

Many thanks Medwaygreen and SW for your guidance. At least this morning I had a starting point to work from, and the results are pretty good. I'm slowly workiing my way through the menus and finding out what things are for, and also I've found some good on-line tutorials, so that's tonight's homework taken care of!

It certainly isn't as easy to use as some of the freebie editing programs, but it seems a lot more versatile. I think (once I get the hang of it!) that I'm going to love it.

Janet

Stick with it Janet, it has some much to offer compared with the freebies. You wont do it in a day gal!!! this is not 'Bert Weedon's' Play in a Day, you know. . . :lol:

Manufactures, please take note, Janet needs a middle of the road, hold the hand program, that sits between simple course control freebies and the 'entry level quality of Elements' . . . !

That also does the washing, ironing and vacuming, while she sits at the computer . . . :huh::P

. . . There used to be one called 'Photo Delux', an Adobe product, 'held the hand', offered 'how to' suggestions, took a long time to complete a task but it worked. Then they replaced it with Elements, down hill since then. However its Elements or nothing that I know of, anyone?????

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior