PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS

Janet

this is not 'Bert Weedon's' Play in a Day, you know. . .

OOooooh! I've heard of him...isn't he a contempory of Ansel Adams? :P

Seriously, although I don't think Elements is easy, it certainly isn't difficult. Thanks to the advice I was given, I've been able to adjust light levels, sharpen, crop and all the basics that are needed. I've managed to rescue a few rather dull and drab shots and turn them into something that I'm actually quite happy with now. What I really do like is that it shows all your changes instantly, whereas some of the freebies are rather slow.

I only got myself confused when I went exploring beyond the basics ... I've had some seriously amazing results, just messing around and experimenting. I think the only limit would be my imagination! It does beg the question though - how much of the really great photography we see is down to skill and the photographer's eye, and just how much is down to programs like Photoshop?

Still, does it really matter? A good image is a good image, regardless of what it took to get it.

Suffice to say, although I know it's going to be a steep learning curve, I like it so far and will be paying for the full version at the end of the trial period.

Janet

Steve, I have never heard of GIMP, but I just tried to have a go at downloading it after reading your post....I clicked on "DOWNLOAD" and this is what I got....

GIMP

What the chuffing heck is that page all about?

To allow you to check the integrity of the tarballs, here are the MD5 sums of the latest releases:

Eh? Can I please have that again in plain English? Thanks for the info, but that is FAR to complicated for someone as simple as me....

If, however, you know of a link for a simple download, I'll be happy to take a look at it!

Cheers!

Janet

OOooooh! I've heard of him...isn't he a contempory of Ansel Adams? :P

Seriously, although I don't think Elements is easy, it certainly isn't difficult. Thanks to the advice I was given, I've been able to adjust light levels, sharpen, crop and all the basics that are needed. I've managed to rescue a few rather dull and drab shots and turn them into something that I'm actually quite happy with now. What I really do like is that it shows all your changes instantly, whereas some of the freebies are rather slow.

I only got myself confused when I went exploring beyond the basics ... I've had some seriously amazing results, just messing around and experimenting. I think the only limit would be my imagination! It does beg the question though - how much of the really great photography we see is down to skill and the photographer's eye, and just how much is down to programs like Photoshop?

Still, does it really matter? A good image is a good image, regardless of what it took to get it.

Suffice to say, although I know it's going to be a steep learning curve, I like it so far and will be paying for the full version at the end of the trial period.

Janet

Small bite sizes Janet . . . Don't choke on it!!!

As for some of the top pictures?? you are probably right, in my humble opinion, its 'computer artistry' using 'parts of photographs' as raw materials? I had someone say to me a little while ago; " any idiot can prodce a picture out of a computer, it takes photographic skill, and an eye to do it in the field with a camera" . . . A good photographers eye using basic skills will be my pleasure, one day . . . ? :rolleyes:

Thats not to say the computer artist is inferior, far from it . . . but it is different, is it photography . . . ???

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Thats not to say the computer artist is inferior, far from it . . . but it is different, is it photography . . . ???

With all the technology available today, even to the most amateur of photographers, where do we draw the line between what is photography and what isn't? How much computer manipulation is allowed before it isn't considered to be true photography any more?

Personally I don't care either way - I have several images on my walls - I have absolutely no idea whether they were down to a keen photographer's eye or a lot of computer processing. Frankly, I don't care. I know what I like, and that's an outstanding image, regardless of how it was captured or fiddled with.

Janet

This is the link you need, to download the Windows version:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/...exe?use_mirror=

It's a free open source product, so you can get lost in the downloads for source code and versions for different computers, but that's the version you want.

Online user manual is here:

http://docs.gimp.org/en/

Cheers Steve! I'll have a go and see what it's like...I'm all for free products!

However, I think I may be hooked on Elements now....

Still, I have a month to decide before the trial period is up!

Thanks everyone for your help. It's very much appreciated.

Janet

Dont forget Janet, Adobies price and the same thing, but not in a box via Amazon, should considerable saving?

SW