Anyone else having problems

nursejudy

• 2 weeks later...
Judy - a couple of things to try that may help and certainly won't hurt. Do in this order.

Download and run CCleaner to clear trash from the PC. Harmless clutter but too much of it messes with applications and web browsers are the most affected. http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/ is a safe site for the download. Once you start it you should see icons on the left side. The broom with the label "cleaner" is the one you want.

Next and still in CCleaner, click on the next icon labeled 'registry' and run that. Let it fix all it finds without saving any of the results.

Defragment your hard drive. Not sure about specific directions since you didn't mention your operating system but if you do a search in the PC's help files for 'defragment', it should tell you exactly how to do it. The first run if you don't already do it regularly can take up to a few hours. When run monthly (good to do) it will go much faster.

Open a command window. Using start>run>cmd is the easiest way to do that. Once you have the window open, key in

chkdsk /f (and note the space after chkdsk) and press Enter. When it tells you it can't do the deed just now, respond Y so it will do it at next reboot and then reboot. It will run the disk check & repair and then reboot itself again. The process can take only a few minutes or several hours.

You should now be desludged and your system set to run better. I suggest a cleaning with CCleaner at least weekly, a defrag at least monthly, and chkdsk /f whenever the system starts acting funky.

I have been having sloooowww problems loading 'AN' (especially at peak times) on my IEv8/XP, new computer in Jan. All other sites seem to work OK!!! very frustrating that its only AN. So I tried the above, it has 'sort of' worked, its quicker to load now, still slower than other sites, but not the frustrating minutes, that it was before. Thanks Newt.

SW

I really do think its getting slower, I am "timing out" a lot of times when I try to get on the site.

Hopefully, it will get sorted soon.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "