lastest news, weymouth

Chris Caines kindly sent me his news letter regarding whats happening down there as we speak. There will be some brilliant fishing again this summer with very many specis to target. Good fishing to all.

Dear Barry

Here goes with a bit of info and news about the fishing in general in Weymouth and the Channel Islands.

Tiger Lily (the new Cat) has completed two full seasons and has been very successful. Her speed and roominess has made anglers trips more pleasant, and the on-board loo has encouraged more lady anglers than I have ever seen. The central fish holds and live-well tanks have worked brilliantly and the rod-holders that boat-builder Pete Russell fabricated do a great job in keeping stuff off the deck. All in all the boat must rank as one of the top purpose built angling boats currently working in the country.

This winter’s fishing has been steady with reasonable catches of Pollack and Ling coming from the mid-channel wrecks. The weather too has been fine for March and April, with only a few cancellations. Bookings are chocca right through to the autumn, so that’s good considering the recession.

Our Plaice were a bit of a disappointment this year though with little more than a dozen per trip on most attempts. The Turbot fishing was really good around Easter, with 5 fish over 20lbs caught by Charter boats and several large fish were known to have been caught by private angling boats that were fishing the Shambles.

Black Bream have now shown up at the Kimmeridge and Dancing Ledge marks in good number although Kimmeridge is difficult on the ebb tide, the flood proving best on both marks. Anglers have been great in putting back the females, I’m sure this has helped with the stocks over the years.

A few Cod showing up now too…last year was fantastic Cod fishing and the same ban on the commercials is in place to preserve stocks this year! Now I know we don’t often get the luxury of catching too many fish, especially Cod, but if as last year we land on a few, please think hard about how many you need to take. By the way, please visit the www.recyclefish.com website and sign up if you have not done so already. It means that you won’t take more than you need. If everybody does their bit then it works.

Congers have been sleepy over the winter and the cancellation due to bad weather of last years Weymouth Conger Challenge has meant that they have not been disturbed too much…this year it’s time to rattle the cage I think don’t you?

The early trips in April to Alderney have seen Turbot and Brill in good number. The Turbot have been smallish but some Brill have been, well brill! Also there have been plenty of Pollack around the ‘rock’ and some early Bass showing too. The works on the pier in Alderney are well underway now and this should be complete for the 2010 season and even more good news…the miserable bugger who owned and ran the water taxi service has sold the business and it is now being run by sensible people who have reduced the cost to £1 each way for anglers…about time too! Even more good news on Alderney is that the Harbour Lights Hotel is back in business doing accommodation and food. Prices are a bit high for B&B but not too bad on a shared basis. The new owners name is Steve and he has a page on the Deepsea website…check it out.

It’s nearly May now and we are looking forward to the Tope and Conger fishing on the small tides just west of Portland which in the last few years have produced some hectic sport without having to travel miles. A little later, huge Bream show here too on the same marks…watch this space.

More mutterings… some of you may have seen my shiny new sign-written Mercedes Vito van. Well I’m sorry but it’s not mine! It’s just a loan vehicle that I have the use of for 12 months because Merc want to promote the fact that it’s a multi purpose vehicle…you can use it for your work all week and then at weekends take the family away or even go fishing in it! Anyway, it’s nice of MB to let me have the use of and they have also promised some MB merchandise to give away during the year…it’s win win for all this year eh?

There are lots of fish pic all over my ‘deepsea’ pages on the web as well as video and more…why not have an in-depth look? Who knows you might find your mug-shot there too. Also if anyone fancies writing anything for inclusion on my skippers Blog page then I will happily post it up for you.

Parking… please don’t leave your vehicle parked anywhere in Weymouth without a valid ticket displayed on it…traffic wardens here have no brain and they will nick YOU! Yes even at 6am!!! I carry the £6 all day parking tickets on board…drive up to the boat and get your ticket first…don’t park in the Loop park and leave your vehicle without a ticket on it! You wouldn’t do it anywhere else, don’t do it here…you have been warned.

Sad news… My good friend and angler, Bob Sawyer died a couple of weeks ago from a blood clot following a cancer operation. Bob was a true gent and had been fishing with me for about 18 years. He loved coming to Weymouth and fished every Conger Festival we have held here. Bob lived in West Henny near Oxford with his wife Maureen. I will miss him and my thoughts are with his family. RIP Bob. Also, another mate, Charlie Challenger has died following an illness earlier this year. Charlie, like Bob was a regular with me and also came fishing with other pals from the Oxford district, although his home was in Kent.

On Thursday 4th June I have put on a beginners day. This can be youngsters or oldsters it don’t matter! Anyone who fancies a go on a top flight charter boat that has not done much before….I will give all the instruction and help and try to catch as many different species of fish that we can. The cost is £40 only…under 16’s must be with an adult is the only rule. All gear supplied if required.

From Monday 24th August to Friday 28th I am hosting a ‘Weymouth Week’ you don’t have to fish all the days, you can do one two etc etc. We will be all over the place in search of lots of different species and I’ll be giving away daily prizes sponsored by Fladen and MB Vans (forget it the Vito is mine!) There is still a small amount of availability at the time of writing. Check out my individuals page for up to date availability.

That’s about it from me…don’t forget if you don’t want me to pester you with email’s like this in the future, just follow the instructions below.

Best Regards & tight lines…

Chris Caines

We all get email's we don't want so please accept my apologies if that's you. Please click the unsubscribe link if you don't want to receive them in the future. Unsubscribe.

Please use ccaines105@aol.com if you want to reply to this mail.

Please DO NOT reply to the news@deepsea.co.uk mailbox as it is automated

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..