Try a revamp . . . ?

Sutton Warrior

Had all day mulling over, the Sunrise file I recently found as mentioned in my previous post.

Then I thought a lot of water has gone under my personal bride since December . . . and even more water over the years I have been a member of AN, first the Sea Angling site and then the extra interest with AN Photography. A lot has been learned, what to do . . . and what not to do :P I'm not a one to go mad on twiddling around with pictures, however I do like my cropping. Many a time I've found a picture within a 'snap-shot' by zooming in moving the box around, bingo!

Would it work on the Sunrise shots? and what could I find on some old pictures I've not seriously looked at for a long time?

So for starters, here are a few, from the 'Sunrise Folder', for your delectation and delight?? :) then again, you may have other views, please feel free :marinheiro:

1 'Boats on moorings'. A new tweaked colour version of an original, the crop is very similar.

1newboatsonriverrwDSC_0083.jpg

1a The original of 'Boats on moorings' posted in 2008

2ndboatsonwaterrwDSC_0083.jpg

2 'Grass Spikes'. A totally new colour and crop of the original.

1newgrassrwDSC_0116.jpg

2a The original of 'Grass Spikes' posted 2008.

2ANcompGrassDSC_0115.jpg

3 'Morning Frost', completely new, heavily cropped from an uninteresting snap.

1frostrwDSC_0103.jpg

4 'Fore Shore', another new picture from the Sunrise file, ordinary as it was, cropped and a tweak to the colour curves.

1boatsstreamrwDSC_0113.jpg

Pictures of interest, to me, for the reasons stated above. A new fresh look gained from experience? or am I just 'fiddling'.

If the reaction is good, ie., enjoyed, and/or constructive criticism results, perhaps I will dig further into some of my older files?

May I also suggest you post some old re vamps for others to enjoy and/or learn from . . . :)

SW

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I know much about it, but the new versions of Grass Spikes and Daisy are more to my taste. The half flower at the bottom right of the screen was a bit jarring in the original. All or nothing for me! Perhaps a crop of just the daisy and some subtle background might look good? I must admit I probably tend to crop too drastically!

Wish there was a way of viewing them side by side, rather than having to scroll down? By the time I've looked at one and scrolled down to the next, I find it hard to see where the changes were made, particularly in the first one. I'm struggling to see any difference in Boats on moorings? May be too subtle for my monitor!

Janet

Not that I know much about it, but the new versions of Grass Spikes and Daisy are more to my taste. The half flower at the bottom right of the screen was a bit jarring in the original. All or nothing for me! Perhaps a crop of just the daisy and some subtle background might look good? I must admit I probably tend to crop too drastically!

Wish there was a way of viewing them side by side, rather than having to scroll down? By the time I've looked at one and scrolled down to the next, I find it hard to see where the changes were made, particularly in the first one. I'm struggling to see any difference in Boats on moorings? May be too subtle for my monitor!

Janet

Janet, you dont have to know much . . . only what tickles your fancy.

I have tied your sugestion on two seperate full size 300ppi . . . for me the impact of the lonly daisey is lost.

However, here you go, thats what this thread is all about, is this what you were thinking of?

Janets 'Daisey', its hard to keep to the rule of 3rds at this amount of crop . . .

1JanetsDaisyrwDSC_0002.jpg

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Now I much prefer that...to me it's still a lonely daisey.

Told you I was drastic - I'd have taken some off the top too, at least down to the top of the blurred flower in the top right hand corner...

However, now I look back at your original edit, I'm a bit undecided....

Isn't it funny how different people percieve things? Either way, it's a lovely shot!

Janet

Now I much prefer that...to me it's still a lonely daisey.

Told you I was drastic - I'd have taken some off the top too, at least down to the top of the blurred flower in the top right hand corner...

However, now I look back at your original edit, I'm a bit undecided....

Isn't it funny how different people percieve things? Either way, it's a lovely shot!

Janet

Its another one of those 'shoot from the hip' shots. On my way out one evening to walk the dog down the marina, rounded a bend in the lane and this drift of stark bright yellow, green and white hit me in the evening light. Got in among them 'down and dirty'. This was the shot I found on the computer, zoom in, zip around, in a bit more, out a tad, there it was, the original is uninteresting to say the least.

SW

I personally find it very hard to visualise what a cropped image will look like until I do it and see it 'in the flesh'. I'm sure it comes with practice but I think the grass spikes example illustrates just how much different a bit (lot) of cropping can alter the final picture. All I need to do is find some more time to look through the hundreds (thousands ?) of pictures I now have on my pc and have a play with some of them.

Rob.

I think I do prefer the very tight crop that Janet did but it wouldnt really be used like that due to the high noise level it shows. Maybe some noisewhere photo shopping could do something with it but yea, a very tight crop really shows the imperfections in any shot.

Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif